A few training questions

evo3ben
evo3ben Posts: 552
Topic: A few training questionsOnly a few more 'A' races before end of season for me which ends mid July. After this (school holidays) i will stop my hard training but still ride a few times a week roughly 5 hrs per week.
Once the kids are back at school in september im back in training.

1) when i start base training again, do i go back to basics as if starting over again? I feel that doing this would loose fitness.

2) When a set exercise i.e intervals last for around 45 minutes but workout time is 1h30min, aside from warm up and down, what is the rest of the time made up with?

3) Is i posible to be race fit for say the Thetford winter series nov-feb and then race fit for a regional summer series April-July? Would it be best to have two seperate base, build, peak and race periods with transition inbetween say using? If not, is it possible to be race fit for november and hold it till July?

Sorry for the questions and many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    It is possible but difficult unless you really know what your doing regarding tapering off, you top end will only give you the max for a few months then your body will naturally start tapering off but as long as you gauge your rest periods properly it is acheivable for what you want.

As for racing yourself fit this too can be done as long as you have a good strong base to work from as most top levels guys will do exactly this they will go in to race season 90% race fit and peak at specific points for certain races but as I said earlier you need to know your body and how it reacts really well.

People can give you all the advice going regarding interval work, base work, using HR monitors, tapering, peaking, but it's all generic as everone is genetically different also age plays a big part recovery times all important.

Guys I used to race and train with for years all had slightly different training programmes from me but all achieved the same results as we would target certain events for max points and just race other events and sit in working at 85% so your still staying sharp but not going lactic.

Gone on to long now and could go on a lot longer but you get the idea, hope this helps :shock:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB