back ache - forks?

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

Back killing after doing the monkey trail this evening after work. I managed a personal best of 2hrs 10 mins, which I guess meant I was going faster on the bumpy sections, but my back was killing after the downhill bits. Been contemplating a new bike for a while now, are much better forks likely to improve the situation or is it something else eg posture?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Does anything else give you back ache ?
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    My problem with my other bike wa the stem being too long
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    Does anything else give you back ache ?

No. And I only get it after finishing a bumpy downhill section. I came down the final descent on the monkey faster today than i've ever done it before, and could hardly straighten up at the bottom when i got off the bike. It had passed after a few minutes though and i climbed up kitbag hill ok, then it came back again on the next bumpy section.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It will be something to do with your positioning, hard to tell what though!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Could be position on the bike or not relaxing enough, too tense. Relax your legs & arms to let the bike move around under you.
    For me it was stem length which caused back ache.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    It could be positioning but it's possible you need to build your core strength a bit more. If you're hammering it more than usual you will be using your muscles more and may need to strengthen them beyond just riding. Just a thought.
    Many happy trails!
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    +1 on the core strength thing. I get neck and back ache on and after longer/harder rides and have tried shorter more upright stems, and fettling my saddle position but it is still there - and not just from cycling either. I weight train and stretch a bit (many cyclists don't - beware if you cycle a lot and never stretch or do other exercise!) but have just started pilates as the effect on my wife's back, which was very bad beforehand, and her general strength has been nothing short of miraculous.

Early days but the instructor tutted a lot at how inflexible my hamstrings are, and I feel good afterwards with none of the aching I tend to get after exercise as I approach 40... I figure for me it is now or never to sort my posture and core strength out - something we all ignore at our peril, especially cyclists and runners!