What's your idea of a good bike ride

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I like gnar. Not because I am gnar but because I like that sort of challenge, I enjoy standing around looking at obstacles and talking about them and having a go and trying to improve

I also enjoy natural stuff that is not technically difficult but is physically demanding - big climbs and big wideopen flowing descents.

My idea of MTB hell is an XC race, or anything competitive or against the clock. I also have an intense dislike of slow speed nadgery trialsy type stuff.

So how about you - what kind of rides do you enjoy the most?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fast flowy stuff, with a few drops and jumps is what I like.

The black stuff at Llandegla was spot on. I haven't done much in the way of natural riding, so I need to give that a go before I write it off.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    AM if I had to put a name to it

Fast flowing descents (last sections of Y Wall @ Afan etc) but happy to put the effort in on the climbs to enjoy the downs. Not a massive mile muncher, I've done 40k + (ok 1) rides and although enjoyable at the time I look back and shudder. Most of all a ride is made by who I'm out with. Got some great ridebros I go out with who make all the difference.

Venues would be

FoD
    Cwmcarn
    Afan

above order depends what mood I/we are in..

Oh and DH days of course
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not ending up in hospital.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bit of everything. Can't be doing with standing around looking at stuff for ages, so if a drop looks too sketchy or whatever I'll just move on, and don't like 'sessioning' stuff, but some good climbs, some fast singletrack, as little dull fireroad as possible, some more technical bits to keep you on your toes.

And good company.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    AM if I had to put a name to it

Fast flowing descents (last sections of Y Wall @ Afan etc) but happy to put the effort in on the climbs to enjoy the downs. Not a massive mile muncher, I've done 40k + (ok 1) rides and although enjoyable at the time I look back and shudder. Most of all a ride is made by who I'm out with. Got some great ridebros I go out with who make all the difference.

Venues would be

FoD
    Cwmcarn
    Afan

above order depends what mood I/we are in..

Oh and DH days of course

This a to a degree, though if i have to pedal on the downs to much i get very grumpy so most of Afan is out for me.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Preferably natural, and with challenging climbs. Trail-centre stuff - I like flowy singletrack, probably more XC than 'hardcore'.

However, trail centres do seem to deem climbing as a necessary evil, so put climbs on dull fireroads (Afan, looking at you, here).Can't abide obviously manufactured s**t on the trials either (artificial jumps, north-shore, unatural drop-offs, that kind of thing).

What can I say? I like pedeling and I prefer going up to going down!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank
    bails87 wrote:
    The black stuff at Llandegla was spot on. I haven't done much in the way of natural riding, so I need to give that a go before I write it off.

Still got you down as a candidtae for the Cut-gate trip. Think you'll like that. 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    njee20 wrote:
    Bit of everything. Can't be doing with standing around looking at stuff for ages, so if a drop looks too sketchy or whatever I'll just move on, and don't like 'sessioning' stuff, but some good climbs, some fast singletrack, as little dull fireroad as possible, some more technical bits to keep you on your toes.

And good company.

A very good summary!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    njee20 wrote:

And good company.

All i'd ad is a mixture of nice open scenery and then wooded sections for the decents. Always make sure the destination is at the bottom of a hill. Perhaps a nice lunch-stop for something light with something nice to look at.
  • Fast and flowy singletrack at trail centres. I don't like having to think about or decide which way to go next. Just follow the markers and enjoy the singletrack.
  • .blitz
    interesting replies fellas :)

It puts the idea of a good bike ride into perspective!
  • Thewaylander
    What that were all different and all you pedalling loving hippies are nuts :wink:
  • .blitz
    more or less yes!
  • marksimon69
    marksimon69 Posts: 62
    very long downhill with a chair lift at the bottom !!!!
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fast flowing but narrow single track, I prefer natural to trail centres, must have enough 'features' to make it interesting though.....

Perversley I also like lung busting, leg killing, blood boiling climbs.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    What that were all different and all you pedalling loving hippies are nuts :wink:

It's not like you've got an allergy to pedelling - I've seen you ride up hills! :lol:

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Ooh it's got to be technical. I visited Hamsterly for the first time and absolutly loved the NPS DH circuit! Much prefer that through-the-trees, steep hairpins and roots stuff to the overly manufactured gravel track descents with berms and gaff. I like them, but give me gnarr. Gnaarrrr!!
    And I've learn't that I'm sh!t... I came 54 of 74 odd in the gravduro race at the weekend... So I love gnarr, but I'm not fast gnarr.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Riding with my mates, followed by a few beers & post ride heroic discussions
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    .blitz wrote:
    I like gnar. Not because I am gnar but because I like that sort of challenge, I enjoy standing around looking at obstacles and talking about them and having a go and trying to improve
    Same

I also enjoy natural stuff that is not technically difficult but is physically demanding - big climbs and big wideopen flowing descents.
    Same

My idea of MTB hell is an XC race, or anything competitive or against the clock.
    Same again

I also have an intense dislike of slow speed nadgery trialsy type stuff.
    I love that kind of thing! Clipped in practically trackstanding over obstacles at a few mph, great fun!

So how about you - what kind of rides do you enjoy the most?
  • .blitz
    I also have an intense dislike of slow speed nadgery trialsy type stuff.
    I love that kind of thing! Clipped in practically trackstanding over obstacles at a few mph, great fun!
    you were doing quite well up until then :)
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Slow speed nadgery trialsy type stuff.

But also fast DH stuff.

And sometimes XC type things.

I quite like jumps, although I'm a wuss and a bit crap at them.

Actually, I'm finding this one hard to pin down.

A pub at the end of the ride is nice, though. I think I can settle on that point.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Clank wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Still got you down as a candidtae for the Cut-gate trip. Think you'll like that. 8)
    Cool, let me know where* and when :)

*Cutgate, probably!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bennett_346
    Slow speed nadgery trialsy type stuff.

But also fast DH stuff.

And sometimes XC type things.

I quite like jumps, although I'm a wuss and a bit crap at them.

Actually, I'm finding this one hard to pin down.

A pub at the end of the ride is nice, though. I think I can settle on that point.
    I can relate to all these points lol
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Anything and everything. Variety is the spice of life. From chairlifted DH runs in the Alps, to nadgery technical bits where I keep thinking the "junior kickstart" theme, to epic XC adventures across mountain ranges, to just chilling on a cycle path with some non-hardcore friends, and sometimes their kids.
    It's all enjoyable.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Fast flowing but narrow single track, I prefer natural to trail centres, must have enough 'features' to make it interesting though.....

Perversley I also like lung busting, leg killing, blood boiling climbs.....

This 8)

We did about 26 miles across the Purbecks on Sunday and that was my best combination of biking factors; fast natural trails with some interesting technical bits, really challenging climbs, fast and techy descents (without being too scary for an xc bike and lid!), stunning scenery, sunshine, a couple of ice cream / cake stops, a pasty and a pint for lunch, and a load of buddies to ride with.

I also enjoy trail centres, xc races and the odd dh blast, but it's days like that i'll remember for a long time :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bennett_346
    nadgery technical bits where I keep thinking the "junior kickstart" theme
    :lol:

I quite enjoy riding stuff like that on the mtb, it means you can juice a lot of riding out of a small area and open up routes you'd never of thought of before. It's also great for line choice and balance skills building.
  • Thewaylander
    Clank wrote:

It's not like you've got an allergy to pedelling - I've seen you ride up hills! :lol:

i was grumping though, especially about the pedally ass downs lol :P
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Wanting to do a bit more when I`ve finished :D
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Anything and everything. Variety is the spice of life. From chairlifted DH runs in the Alps, to nadgery technical bits where I keep thinking the "junior kickstart" theme, to epic XC adventures across mountain ranges, to just chilling on a cycle path with some non-hardcore friends, and sometimes their kids.
    It's all enjoyable.
    Pretty much this for me, apart from the DH stuff, never tried it and doubt I will.
  • .blitz
    miss notax wrote:
    We did about 26 miles across the Purbecks on Sunday and that was my best combination of biking factors; fast natural trails with some interesting technical bits, really challenging climbs, fast and techy descents (without being too scary for an xc bike and lid!), stunning scenery, sunshine, a couple of ice cream / cake stops, a pasty and a pint for lunch, and a load of buddies to ride with.

sounds pretty good tbh verging on perfect

I like those sort of rides meself but it's rare that it all comes together on the same day