Dura ace c35

PB dreamer
PB dreamer Posts: 23
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all just enquiring about the Shimano Dura Ace C35 wheels, Im currently using a pair of carbon laminate rs80's. What if any? advantages would I get with the dura ace wheel over the rs'80?

Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    None... all that money for a bit of carbon glued to what in essense is a very normal wheelset with decent hubs... they're not even light.
    If you want to go real fast, get yourself some carbon tubulars and fasten the seatbelt

Correction, it's actually aluminium glued to the carbon... still very much of a compromise at an uncompromising price. If you have ther RS 80 you can do better with a thousand queens
    left the forum March 2023
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    edited May 2012
    C50's are nice and offer benefits over my other wheelsets when at speed~ I have a pair. C35's are compromise between the deeper C50s and the DA1380's/RS80s.

Hubs are nice but the freewheel is not a strong point and is v v expensive when replacement time arrives.

I am looking at some 38mm carbon chinese type hoops rather than the C35s.............
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • PB dreamer
    PB dreamer Posts: 23
    Thanks for the quick reply, do you have any suggestions on carbon wheels yourself for that price range?? Someone mentioned a pair of strada wheels or planet x guru may do the trick?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    I would offer you a set of hand builts, but I can't beat Planet X prices for essentially the same thing, so no point. I think the 50 mm tubs are on sale at the moment.
    Otherwise check the chinese carbon wheels thread for inspiration, some slashed prices there...

Keep the RS80 for every day use, carbon tubs are a bit more delicate
    left the forum March 2023
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    The tubular C35's are supposed to be very good indeed, but the clincher version you can do better for the money (eg Reynolds Assault - which are more aero and lighter rims). Just IHMO