hope xc headset and C2 questions

Johnnyvee
Johnnyvee Posts: 67
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Sorry to trouble you but could do with some advice.

Firstly I need new bearings for a hope XC headset - are these a standard size of angled bearing. I think year is around 2004.

Next I'm also going to be stripping my C2 calipers and sport levers, replacing all seals and putting them back together before a good bleed. Any top tips for doing this? Biggest concern is the dot 5.1 brake fluid that comes out as I strip them. How do I dispose of it?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Do you have seals for he brake and lever? I know they're on the rare side.

The only tip I can remember from stripping C2's down is using a trackpump to 'pop' the pistons out
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Brake fluid should be taken he the council dump for recycling.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Johnnyvee
    Thanks for the advice - found the track pump bit too.

Few more questions if anyone can help as have now split apart one of the calipers and about to renew seals and thoroughly clean......

1. What size pin spanner fits the C2 piston face? Or is there another way to remove without using one of these. All I seem to need is something with two or more pins of the right size and enough leverage to get over 2nm...

2. Looks like the front hose has caught on the tyre and is nearly worn to the point of failure. Did Hope change the size of the hose and what can you replace with? These are circa 1999/2000 brakes. Does the stainless braided cable offer any performance benefits over the normal hose?

3. What can I clean the bodies with - is water and mild detergent or Muc off ok given that they will get a damn good rinse and be allowed to air dry?

Thanks for any help offered... if necessary can measure hose when I get home think external diameter looks like around 5 mm but this is just a guess.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 circlip pliers?
    2 6mm IIRC and none.
    3 anything. Just rinse after.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Johnnyvee
    Cheers nicklouse appreciate the rapid response.

Was going to try the circlip pliers but ran out of time yesterday...

Will post some pics as I go through rebuild of my "classic".

This forum is an excellent source of help and advice. Cheers.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    The C2 was defo 6mm hose which is not available anymore from Hope - not sure if you will get it anywhere. You will have to replalce with 5mm and that will mean changing the fittings too as they are all 6mm. You may have to check with Hope that you can do that on the C2.
    I have got some new spares in my repair box for C2 which I'm happy to sell you if you get stuck. :D
  • Johnnyvee
    Cheers lpreto1 I will pm you if I get stuck......