Dolan set-up,sram or shimano??

scazzer
scazzer Posts: 254
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Had my 1st road bike now for 16months and wasnt sure if id get into it but ive got the bug and now im after buying a better bike :P

Ive been looking at the Dolan range and they have them with sram and shimano set-up.

Which 1 of these is the better of the 2 set-ups??

cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    there is no 'better' just preference.
  • I prefer shimano. My new bike has sram force and I don't like it at all. I prefer the larger hoods of shimano for holding on to. I also think the gear changing is better, I've not got on with the double tap system at all. Shifting also doesn't seem as smooth as on ultegra.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Depends what you prefer, try them out if you can. Im not to fussy although I think I prefer SRAM since you can change gear and brake at the same time and its also alot lighter.
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    Current set-up im using are Shimano and never had a problem with them,was under the impression that 1 may be better components but sounds like they are much the same so will go have a go of sram if possible and decide...

cheers for help :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Performance wise they re identical - go for whatever feels more comfy to you.

Enjoy!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They change differently - mate has gone from Shimano Ultegra - to SRAM Red - great gruppo - but he keeps fluffing changes :-)
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    As others have said U Gotta go with what works for you.

I've had ultegra on last bike and then force was OEM on new bike and its sooooooo much better for me, I find the double tap thing so intuitive, I'm upgrading to red and putting the force on my cross bike and then ebaying its 105 gruppo as it seems so clunky and I keep fluffing changes 'cos compared to sram it seems so un-natural.

But my best cycling mate can't get on with sram at all, hates it.

Definitely worth trying a ride with both gruppo's before you order.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’