Lubricant??

otten01
otten01 Posts: 16
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I just wanted to ask what is the best lubricant? I'm currently using GT85, it's good however it does not seem to cancel noise out. When cycling in 2nd gear cycling not that fast, I tend to hear the chain going about. A friend of mine uses general oil, it is very quiet but not really for a bike chain. I'm currently using a CARRERA TDF, it's my first road bike. I've recently fitted a higher grade chain and I want to maintain it in the best possible way. Any suggestions would be aprichiated! :D

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Did anyone else hear that can of worms being opened ? :lol:

Personally, I like Finish Line Krytec dry lube for dry conditions, and Finish Line Cross Country wet lube for wet conditions.

You'll get a million and one opinions in answer to your question, but personally, I think you need something more than GT85.

A 'dry' lube, or a wax lube is better for dry conditions. If applied to a clean chain, then it won't attract the dust and your chain should stay cleaner for longer. However, they don't last long and are easily washed off if you're riding in the wet
    A 'wet' lube is more sticky and will cling to your chain better in wet riding conditions, but as a result dust will also stick to it more and you could end up with a filthy black chain in no time.

Just don't use WD40.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • andyboyce
    andyboyce Posts: 156
    I use purple extreme, you can get it from chain reaction online. One application lasts about 3 months
  • otten01
    I think I'll be ordering the purple extreme! Cheers for the advice :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    otten01 wrote:
    Hi guys, I just wanted to ask what is the best lubricant? I'm currently using GT85, it's good however it does not seem to cancel noise out. When cycling in 2nd gear cycling not that fast, I tend to hear the chain going about. A friend of mine uses general oil, it is very quiet but not really for a bike chain. I'm currently using a CARRERA TDF, it's my first road bike. I've recently fitted a higher grade chain and I want to maintain it in the best possible way. Any suggestions would be aprichiated! :D
    Perhaps because it's not a chain lubricant?
  • MattC59
    andyboyce wrote:
    I use purple extreme, you can get it from chain reaction online. One application lasts about 3 months

Your chain must be in a sh*te state after three months !!!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Simple answer is that any CHAIN lube will be better than GT85...... which is 2nd only to WD40 for being completely crap as a lubricant.

Squirt dry lube for me at the moment. Morgan Blue Race Oil for wet lube

http://www.squirtlube.com/
    http://www.morganblue.net/morganblue.htm
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Unless the 3 month milage is only 100 miles!! lol :lol:
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    giant man wrote:
    otten01 wrote:

Word. I'd be more likely to use GT85 to get the existing lube off rather than as a lube itself
  • otten01
    Hold on! What's the difference between GT85 and a 'dry lubricant'? :?
  • danmitch
    danmitch Posts: 47
    After reading this article on Kent's Bike Blog...
    http://kentsbike.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11 ... bably.html

... I tried Chain-L and wouldn't use anything else now. It's a heavy, sticky oil but strange as it may seem, it is really clean running and very long lasting. I suspect it is the thickness and that it penetrates well, that means the lube stays where it’s supposed to be, in the bearings, not on the outside.

Dan
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    otten01 wrote:
    I think I'll be ordering the purple extreme! Cheers for the advice :D

Check out the review here first: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/chain-lubricant/product/review-purple-extreme-extreme-28381

If you look the comments it seems very hit and miss.
  • Wirral_paul
    otten01 wrote:

A dry lube is designed to lubricate chains. GT85 is designed as a penetrating fluid.

Wording on the GT85 website - "GT85 will ease cycle transmissions, bearings, hubs, brakes and cables and after the action, spray on after cleaning down for total protection, avoid your brakes of course!"

Add an "if you let it go rusty" in there and then it's more accurate.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    P_Tucker wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    otten01 wrote:

Word. I'd be more likely to use GT85 to get the existing lube off rather than as a lube itself
    Yeah good point, would be ideal for that lol
  • otten01
    Hi guys, I've just ordered finish line wet lube from evanscycles.com £3.99
    It suits my needs. Thank you for all your comments.

Adam.
  • MattC59
    Good choice. In this dry dusty weather, jus make sure that you wipe off any excess, otherwise you'll have a nasty black chain in no time. Apply it, let it find it's way into the links for a while, then just lightly run the chain through a rag, that'll take off any excess.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    otten01 wrote:

A dry lube is designed to lubricate chains. GT85 is designed as a penetrating fluid.

Wording on the GT85 website - "GT85 will ease cycle transmissions, bearings, hubs, brakes and cables and after the action, spray on after cleaning down for total protection, avoid your brakes of course!"

Add an "if you let it go rusty" in there and then it's more accurate.

Not advocating using GT85 as a chain oil, but your 'explanation' doesn't actually describe the differences. If I re-badged some GT85 as a chain oil, your analysis would have you describing it as a 'dry' lube that you have to reapply more often...which actually seems fairly typical of the 'dry' lubricants that I've tried.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wirral_paul
    DesWeller wrote:
    otten01 wrote:
    Not advocating using GT85 as a chain oil, but your 'explanation' doesn't actually describe the differences. If I re-badged some GT85 as a chain oil, your analysis would have you describing it as a 'dry' lube that you have to reapply more often...which actually seems fairly typical of the 'dry' lubricants that I've tried.

My only analysis was one was a lubricant and the other is a penetrating fluid, ie not a chain lube. Maybe we should blame Wiggle but here's their description...

Top Features of the GT85 Lubricant 400ml Aerosol
    Penetrating Lubricant
    Water displacer
    With PTFE
    NOT chain lube!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Wow. After more than a few posts it would appear that no one has mentioned good old motor oil. A very useful substance, I might add. :? :?
  • Wirral_paul
    dennisn wrote:
    Wow. After more than a few posts it would appear that no one has mentioned good old motor oil. A very useful substance, I might add. :? :?

I put it in my car, but wouldnt use it to fry an egg in :lol:
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    dennisn wrote:
    I've never used it on a chain but I imagine it attracts ungodly amounts of crap, no?