Newbie Question on Bike and Riding

ali4390
ali4390 Posts: 106
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I've always been a really keen cyclist ever since I was a kid, every evening/weekend was spent out on my bike. When I went to uni I stopped riding until last year when I decided to get a new bike, as much to keep fit as anything else. I bought a Carrera Kraken, mainly because I had always wanted one when I was younger, and it seemed to offer a reasonable spec for a beginner within that price range.

The bike itself has been great for me, but a few weeks ago I went to Cannock Chase to try some 'downhill' biking, which I really enjoyed, and would now like to start upgrading it to make it into something that can deal with proper off roading a bit better. So what upgrades would be good to start with? Things like grips, bars, stem, headset I'm guessing would all make a difference in terms of weight and ease of turn-in? I also have some trouble with actually getting the bike to change gear, especially on the front sprocket, is there an easy upgrade for this?

My second other question relates to actually riding the bike and the amount of feel/grip I have. On a couple of black runs this weekend I was absolutely fine at keeping a decent pace until I come to a tight corner and then it feels like I have no grip and the front is wanting to let go. I don't think it is from carrying too much speed as my mate always seemed to pull a slight gap on my round these corners, and I feel like I should be able to carry slightly more speed. I tried dropping the pressure slightly and it did help but do things like tyres make a big difference? Looking at the state of them after only a couple of runs they look in worse condition then I would expect them to be.

I used to race motorbikes and so am used to being able to have lots of feel for what both ends of the bike are doing, so it's frustrating that it feels like I'm being held back slightly by grip of lack thereof.

Sorry for the essay, any help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    ali4390 wrote:
    Hi all,

Welcome!
    ali4390 wrote:
    So what upgrades would be good to start with? Things like grips, bars, stem, headset I'm guessing would all make a difference in terms of weight and ease of turn-in?

It depends what you want the upgrades to achieve. For example, if you want a faster, lighter cross-country/light trail bike then you will be looking at different components to if you wanted a burly, strong DH (DownHill) bike to fly down steep decents over rocks and 'orrible stuff. For a start though, your Carerra Kracken Isn't the best bike to be hitting proper DH routes on - That is if you mean actualy DH riding or riding 'down hills' (there is a difference)
    ali4390 wrote:
    I also have some trouble with actually getting the bike to change gear, especially on the front sprocket, is there an easy upgrade for this?

Yes there is - a good clean and service!

Failing that, you may have a worn drivetrain and need to replace a couple of bits. How many miles do you reckon you have covered? What exactly is the problem when shifting?
    ali4390 wrote:
    do things like tyres make a big difference?

Yes, a massive difference. Have a search on this forum for 'tyres' and you will find endless pages of people discussing their favourite rubber (then when you get past the stuff about gimp masks there is actually some topics about the black things that go round your wheels)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Tyres make a huge difference.
  • ali4390
    Thanks for the quick reply :D !
    TwellySmat wrote:
    It depends what you want the upgrades to achieve. For example, if you want a faster, lighter cross-country/light trail bike then you will be looking at different components to if you wanted a burly, strong DH (DownHill) bike to fly down steep decents over rocks and 'orrible stuff. For a start though, your Carerra Kracken Isn't the best bike to be hitting proper DH routes on - That is if you mean actualy DH riding or riding 'down hills' (there is a difference)
    I want to get more into DH than cross country, I don't know where the trails I've been riding at the moment rate on a DH scale of 'orribleness, but they've got lots of jumps, bumps and other things that try to shake my teeth out my head!
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Yes there is - a good clean and service!

Failing that, you may have a worn drivetrain and need to replace a couple of bits. How many miles do you reckon you have covered? What exactly is the problem when shifting?
    I've given it a good clean but it could probably do with another service. I've probably done about 200 miles on the bike. The biggest problem is when trying to change from 1st to 2nd on the front sprocket it won't locate properly, the chain tries to go onto the next sprocket but then sort of gives up and slips off.
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Yes, a massive difference. Have a search on this forum for 'tyres' and you will find endless pages of people discussing their favourite rubber (then when you get past the stuff about gimp masks there is actually some topics about the black things that go round your wheels)
    :lol: I'll have a search now cheers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    ali4390 wrote:
    I want to get more into DH than cross country, I don't know where the trails I've been riding at the moment rate on a DH scale of 'orribleness, but they've got lots of jumps, bumps and other things that try to shake my teeth out my head!

You may want to leave the Kraken as it is and start saving for a meatier full sus if you are looking at getting into it properly. Google DH mountain biking, watch some videos and check out the kind of bikes and gear people use for this kind of riding.

ali4390 wrote:
    I've given it a good clean but it could probably do with another service. I've probably done about 200 miles on the bike. The biggest problem is when trying to change from 1st to 2nd on the front sprocket it won't locate properly, the chain tries to go onto the next sprocket but then sort of gives up and slips off.

Sounds like you have lost a bit of tension on the front mech, which is normal as the cable stretches after a bit of use. Think of it like having to retune a guitar a couple of times after new strings are fitted. Have a look at the link cooldad posted for guidance on aligning your gears or if you struggle, take it down to a bike shop and they should sort it for you in a few minutes for a small fee (maybe even for free if you are a regular)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I ride a 160mm Giant Reign and like you am leaning more to DH than xc, I run 2.35 tyres which after this weekend Im increasing to 2.5 as the guy I rode with was carrying loads more speed in the corners and he could run his tyres at lower pressure to increase grip.

Not saying he was faster just because of the bigger tyres, (He was fast really fast) but they defo helped, also they will give you more comfort than a smaller tyre.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ali4390 wrote:
    So what upgrades would be good to start with?
    Whatever the hell you think is lacking - if anything.
  • ali4390
    So how would I be best setting my bike up for DH until I was ready to upgrade to something decent? New tyres with correct pressure, good service, soften front suspenion and good to go?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ali4390 wrote:
    So how would I be best setting my bike up for DH until I was ready to upgrade to something decent? New tyres with correct pressure, good service, soften front suspenion and good to go?
    Nothing. Just ride it.
  • Twelly
    Setting yourself up is more important - Full face helmet is a good start..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Kraken isn't suited to donwhill and short of starting with a new frame, never will be, so ride it where it will shine and save up for a proper DH rig.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The Kraken isn't suited to donwhill and short of starting with a new frame, never will be, so ride it where it will shine and save up for a proper DH rig.

+1 you can make it more capable but it will never be a DH bike, same as my reign will never be a DH bike.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Look in my sig. My Kraken is set up as more XC orientated though I do do a fair few jumps on it (Not huge ones mind!) and a couple of DH runs.
  • ali4390
    Greer_ wrote:
    Look in my sig. My Kraken is set up as more XC orientated though I do do a fair few jumps on it (Not huge ones mind!) and a couple of DH runs.
    I've seen your bike mate, looks really smart. Does it cope okay with the majority of riding (obviously not everything).
  • Greer_
    For the riding i'm doing, its brilliant. It's done about 700 miles and the only things I've had to replace are bearing related (bottom bracket and headset) so a heads up there. The others are just upgrades :D as said above, it is not a dh bike, but it shouldn't fall apart on you're first few runs. Ride xc to get you fitness and funds up, then buy a proper dh machine if you're still set on it. Bear in mind that you're going for strength and not lightweight parts if you do upgrade anything.
  • ali4390
    Random question but what made you go for that stem? From what I understand shorter stems are better suited for something like DH?

Thinking about it the past couple of days I'm quite happy with the bike for what I'm doing at the moment. I can keep a decent pace on the runs I'm doing and I've caught and passed my fair share of riders with fancy kit (but no idea how to use it) so will keep on until it's the bike that's slowing me down rather than my lack of ability :lol: !
  • Greer_
    ali4390 wrote:
    Random question but what made you go for that stem? From what I understand shorter stems are better suited for something like DH?

I've found it comfier than the original + my rides are more long distance xc, and bits of technical rather than a day of downhill runs - it suits my riding better but I haven't found it compromises anything downhill.

..... oh and it was cheap!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited May 2012
    ali4390 wrote:

Better suited in the fact that the geo is completely different on a DH bike so often shorter stems are required.
  • ali4390
    Greer_ wrote:
    ..... oh and it was cheap!
    :mrgreen: