Rim jamming on brake blocks

pianoman
pianoman Posts: 706
edited May 2012 in Workshop
On yesterday's club ride I had two near-misses when I was putting the power down. I wasn't even touching the brake lever but suddenly the rear wheel ended up stuck to the left brake block and needed to be loosened the re-tightened. Plus, when I keep the bike still on a flat surface, I can move the rear wheel between the blocks almost completely from one side to the other with my hand. Both times the "phantom braking" forced me to a standstill and only got sorted once I'd taken the wheel out the dropout then put it back in again.

Was the skewer not tight enough (though the wheels had been in for 500 miles prior to this happening?) Or is it something else like the cones? The wheels in question are Vision T42's.

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    When you took the wheel out and put it back in again was there still play? If not then doesn't sound like the cones. But if the skewers weren't tight enough that should have been noticeable when you reset them.
  • pianoman
    Well I can still move the wheel from brake block to brake block (almost) with my thumb :?

Interesting, too, that both times it "jammed" was when I'd just put a lot of power down. Not that the Vision T42's are known for being flexy. I'll go and try the "thumb test" on my SRAM S60's that are on my TT bike. If they're fine I'll put the winter wheels in the road bike and see what happens then.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I had this problem with my planet x model B's (especially when putting the power down)

It never forced me to a stand still but sometimes the brake block would stick to the rim. The bearings were nice and tight, it was due to the fact that the wheels were flexy. I use different wheels now which are much stiffer and have never experienced this problem since.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Most likely a loose hub. Alternatively no tension at all in the spokes, but in the latter case you wouldn't go very far. Might just be a case of tightening the hub caps (or cones if it's cup and cone hub)
    left the forum March 2023
  • pianoman
    Well the Vision wheels are sealed bearing not cone based. I did notice that the springs on the rear QR skewer had worked their way past the dropout entry and were rather hard to remove, so I've tried removing them altogether (I've done this on previous wheelset and never had any problems). It's one less thing to foul the alignment or "spring" one way or another under heavy loads I guess?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Freehub might have come loose. You should take the wheel out of the bike and verify that there's no axial play in the freehub body or the axle.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}