Puncture

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited May 2012 in Workshop
ok, I wouldn't bother posting a puncture problem, I've had plenty over the years. What was bizzare today, I had a complete blowout on a fast decent, managed to hold the bike to a stop and avoid injury. I searched and searched for cut on the fairly new tyre (done about 200 miles), nothing, no cuts no issues on the side wall, nothing on the rim. I searched for 5 mins.

Any ideas, could it be the valve come loose or problem with the tube. The tyre was a Veloflex Corsa a very well made trye closest you'll get to a tublar. I don't want another blowout!!!!!

Comments

• dseddon1
    dseddon1 Posts: 122
    Did you re-use the same tube with no further problems on the ride? Sounds like you might have not seated the tube and tyre properly on the rim. You weren't using a valve extender were you? A strange one for sure...
    #allaboutthebike
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'd suggest a pinch puncture. Excuse me for stating the obvious but did you check the tube for damage as well as the tyre? An undamaged tyre would suggest a pinch puncture is most likely.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    In a blowout, the tyre has failed to clinch the rim, and the tube has escaped briefly. If you could see slow-motion footage, it would go thus: the tyre bead lifts away from the rim, and a section of tube escapes, quickly expands (because it is uncontained by the tyre), and explodes loudly (leaving a ragged hole). The deflated tube then slips back inside the tyre which reseats itself on the rim.

All this occurs in a split second, and is often misdiagnosed because there is no obvious trace indicating what happened. The cause of the clinching failure is usually fitting error, but may rarely be a rim problem. Blowouts are never caused by a foreign object, however, as are many normal punctures.

Pinch punctures are different again- they can be dramatic, but there is no BANG, the cause is always evident (a sharp road feature), and the punctures themselves are characteristic snake-bites.