Can rockshox travel be increased

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hi, can 100mm travel rebas be increased to 120mm?

They are 2012 model.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Possibly. Some OEM can, proper aftermarket definitely.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Surely if it's an aftermarket 100mm, it can't be increased to 120 because the stanchion will be just long enough to support 100. I can't see why they would sell different travel options if they were all just 120s with lowering spacers in, what a waste of added weight.

So basically maybe, maybe not.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They cut the stanchions down, and keep the 120 pushrods in. Gotta look if there is a spacer!
  • ashleydwsmith
    Ahhhhh right? Maybe not buy them then, damn shame as they are a cracking deal brand new as well!
  • bennett_346
    We didn't say that, we said show us them. Are they on a bike, are they aftermarket?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Aftermarket, here's the link, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rockshox-reba-r ... sion-fork/ although not sure that gives a lot of info!
  • bennett_346
    They probably won't go to 120, they have the stanchions etched for 100mm and probably don't have a spacer/long enough stanchions.
  • ashleydwsmith
    How the hell can you see that, man your eyes are good.

Oh well that's that over with!
  • benpinnick
    Thats a stock photo most likely, so not worth going on. But if theyre listed as 100mm they probably are 80/100 only. They'd almost certainly list them as 120 if they were capable of that.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have a similar question about the Reba's on my Cube LTD Pro... I guess you cannot tell without opening them up and looking for spacers so how would I go about doing that? Is it a quick job? or does it need a bit of thought and does it carry a possibility of messing up the fork...
  • benpinnick
    Look on the stanchions - if the sag is etched to 120mm, you have a chance (still no guarantee). If its 100mm then no chance I am afraid.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Best option is to email wiggle and ask.
    On the 100mm toras I had, they could be extended to 130.
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    I dont know if it helps, but the stanchions on my rebas off my trek 6500 that came with it have 80, 100 and 120 sag markers on them, obviously can only just see the top of the 120 one.