Are my Nobby Nics tubeless?

Jamie G
Jamie G Posts: 166
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i'm thinking of going tubeless, but i'm not sure if my Nobby Nica are compatible. The pics online don't really show the sidewall so i'm not sure if it should say 'ust' or something indicating they are. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also they're roughly 3 years old if that makes a difference

Cheers all

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most tyres will generally work tubeless as long as your rims are tubeless or you use a tubelss kits like Stans.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Tubeless tires usually say something on them - but as above as cool dad says. Even if the tires aren't tubeless ready, the sealant will seal any holes in the tire the first time it's inflated.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Recent Nobby Nic Evos are all tubeless ready I think... Older ones work very well tubeless in my experience. Though, the carcass isn't tough even on the snakeskin ones.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    TL versions are tubless ready.Older ones aren`t I`m running older non TL Racing Rlaph and Nobby Nic Evos tubeless on Roval tubeless rims and they work fine.

Probably wouldn`t want to use them anywhere rocky but thats true of most light tyres.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There is no such thing as a 'TL' version. Newer (post-2011) versions of the Evo carcass tyres are tubeless ready, if they have a black bead and are either "Pace Star", "Trail Star", "Vert Star" or "Gate Star" compound (logo between "Nobby" and "Nic" on the sidewall) then they're tubeless ready.

If they're the older 'Triple Nano' variant with a grey bead they're not strictly tubeless ready. If you have newer Stan's rims (Podium, Crest, Arch Ex, Alpine) then the older ones work better, the new ones can be way too tight.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    njee20 wrote:
    There is no such thing as a 'TL' version. Newer (post-2011) versions of the Evo carcass tyres are tubeless ready, if they have a black bead and are either "Pace Star", "Trail Star", "Vert Star" or "Gate Star" compound (logo between "Nobby" and "Nic" on the sidewall) then they're tubeless ready.

If they're the older 'Triple Nano' variant with a grey bead they're not strictly tubeless ready. If you have newer Stan's rims (Podium, Crest, Arch Ex, Alpine) then the older ones work better, the new ones can be way too tight.

Njee,are you sure?

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/all-mountain/nobby-nic/

The Schwalbe website refers to a TL as opposed to full tubeless?
    It seems to infer the TL is tubeless ready.
    You are of course correct that they do different compounds and the pre 2011 non tubeless versions not being strictly "tubeless ready"

Just to confuse matters they also now do budget "Performance" versions..................
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes perhaps should've made myself more clear, they're 'tubeless ready' (abbreviated to TL Ready on the website), they're not marked "TL" or anything, so you won't find anything on the sidewall saying that. It's not a "Nobby Nic TL" as you implied.
    Just to confuse matters they also now do budget "Performance" versions..................

They've always done ORC 'Performance' ones. They used to do 'Light' ones too, which preceded Triple Nano. Again, none of them are technically tubeless ready (although they have black beads), but they do work fine.