Pad and disc not making full contact

dazz25
dazz25 Posts: 48
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've just fitted my new SLX M666 brakes and have noticed on the back that the pad doesn't make full contact with the disc. The pads only seem to be making contact with the top half of the braking surface on the disc.

I've attached a picture below to make it easier to explain. You can see the score marks on the disc where the pads are making contact. Looking into the caliper the pads are sitting higher than the disc so something doesn't seem right.

The adaptor is from superstar and its the first time i've tried one of their adaptors. Does anybody know if this is normal or whether somethings not right?

IMG_20120526_111907.jpg

Many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Which adaptor did you get?
    What size rotors are they?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dazz25
    Sorry, knew i'd forget some information!

They're 180mm rotors and the adaptor I got was the PM-IS R180 (type 4 on the following link: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=359)
  • nicklouse
    Mmmmm looks like you have about 10mm too much you may have been sent the wrong one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • dazz25
    Yeh I was thinking the same. Just wanted to make sure It wasn't normal before I got in touch with superstar.
  • dazz25
    I've just ordered the proper shimano adaptor from CRC so i'll see how that fits.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    I know its been already said but have you got a 185mm adaptor for a 180mm disc?

Ive had such a ball ache today convincing them that a 160mm front adaptor wont work on the back of my bike!! But thats another story! LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • nicklouse
    steelie600 wrote:
    I know its been already said but have you got a 185mm adaptor for a 180mm disc?

Ive had such a ball ache today convincing them that a 160mm front adaptor wont work on the back of my bike!! But thats another story! LOL
    But that would only have the pads 2.5mm out. So no.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Good point captain! Its the heat I tells ya!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just humour me, are you sure you have the adaptor fitted the right way round?
  • dazz25
    Just humour me, are you sure you have the adaptor fitted the right way round?

Ha, I thought exactly the same not long ago.

As far as I can tell, it is. The arrow is pointing the right way and if I swapped it around the rear of the mount would be too low so the caliper would hit the disc before reaching the mount.