Best bike

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Had to do the school run this morning, and have lots on today, so would normally be a day to drive in. However, the weather is too good for that, so came in on the 'best bike'. Took about 20 mins off my usual time albeit over a slightly shorter, faster route, and thoroughly enjoyed having a bit of a blast for a change.

One thing I did notice however was I didn't get as many friendly nods or cheery hello's as usual. Even the group of lady dog walkers that I see most mornings who generally make conversation, and recently have become quite flirtatious, pretty much blanked me. Maybe they just didn't recognise me on the 'posh bike', or could it be that cyclists on older, slower bikes are more approachable than more serious looking cyclists?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yes, yes they are.

Team jersey and ar$e in the air says "I'm really serious and don't have the time to be pleasant because I'm a cyclist me"
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    People always talk to me when I'm on the best bike... generally "So how much d'that cost you then?"
  • My best bike is matt titanium and un-branded, with ultegra kit, a rack and black mudguards. It rides much better than it looks but that seems to deflect attention and I like it that way. :wink:
  • My best bike is matt titanium and un-branded, with ultegra kit, a rack and black mudguards. It rides much better than it looks but that seems to deflect attention and I like it that way. :wink:

In which case I reckon they weren't talking to you because they suspected you of being a cycle tourer, with a secret penchant for wearing SPD sandals.
  • Busted......

.... except my usual commuter is very obviously a touring bike (it can even take a front rack for goodness sake) and I always wear SPD sandles. :wink:

I have a theory that perception of cyclists is described by a bell-curve. At one end are those that often ride BSOs inconsiderately - clearly these are oiks that should be avoided. At the other end are the 'professionals' with all the gear, slicing through traffic but concerned more with their own performance - unlikely to reciprocate friendly communication. In the middle are many of us - OK bikes, in reasonable state of repair, some suitable clothing but not necessarily head to toe in lycra, making decent progress but able to enjoy our surroundings and share a 'moment' with those we meet. Pedestrians and other road users see us and make an immediate view judgement which determines how they will interact with us.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i'm defo in the pro camp you horrible oiks :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    At the other end are the 'professionals' with all the gear, slicing through traffic but concerned more with their own performance - unlikely to reciprocate friendly communication.

Except that these are the one group you can say are definite cycle enthusiasts rather than people who just see the bike as transport. I tend to find that the lycra crowd are by far the most likely to be friendly irrespective of whether I'm on the old school tourer or a modern plastic bike with a silly paintjob.
    Faster than a tent.......