gear cables n outers

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Having given the beast a spring clean last night found both the rea mech cable is fraying under the bb and couple of outers have cracks in them. Time to replace of course. Current set is XT/XTR from a package bought a while ago. Stay with or are there better for the money out there?
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nokon. Expensive, but I fitted it to my 'Sunday Best' and it's excellent.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Nokon. Expensive, but I fitted it to my 'Sunday Best' and it's excellent.
    So I've heard. Not tried them.

Not so keen on the PTFE coated XTR cables. I think PTFE cables are just a bad idea, 'cos the PTFE has no wear resistance, even inside the outers.

So I'd go for Jagwire outers & [edit: any brand of] pre-stretched stainless inners. Which are cheap.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    jejv wrote:

So I'd go for Jagwire outers & [edit: any brand of] pre-stretched stainless inners. Which are cheap.

get the best cutters you can

i have always found jagwire to be a hooooge pain in the arse to cut (outers)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    mudcow007 wrote:
    jejv wrote:

i have always found jagwire to be a hooooge pain in the ars* to cut (outers)
    I have good cable cutters, which trim mudguard stays neatly. If I'm cutting outers, I put an offcut of inner inside, to help stop the outer getting crushed.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    goodridge? seems to be a number of good reviews about them.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    jejv wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    jejv wrote:

i have always found jagwire to be a hooooge pain in the ars* to cut (outers)
    I have good cable cutters, which trim mudguard stays neatly. If I'm cutting outers, I put an offcut of inner inside, to help stop the outer getting crushed.

Good call - I'll remember that for next time. Parktool cutters are the business IMHO - not cheap, but made to last.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I've got a pair of Park cutters and they are the mutt's nuts. I don't think I'd cut mudguard stays with them though for fear of damaging them. Angle grinder does the job with overkill.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Buy a couple of metres of Shimano SP40/41, a bag of ferules, and cut to size. Ans shimano stainless inners.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Angle grinder to cut.cable outers. Followed by a quick touch to.the grinding wheel and a finger twist with a 1mm drill bit.to clear the throat.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No gears, no problems....