fitting deraillieurs to new frame...help!

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited May 2012 in Workshop
i am tryoign to do a build...my first. i am fitting a sora groupset. i am well and truly stuck! I'm sure my deraillieurs are right but its the cabling, i have threaded it all etc but i get no response off my shifters I'm very stuck and don't know what i am not doing!...or what i am lol
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Sorry, not clear what you're experiencing.

Let's start with the cabling.
    If you have the cables unattached to the derailleurs and you operate the levers just pulling the cables tight by hand, do the cables work, i.e. pull tight when you work the outer levers, give back some slack when you work the inner levers ?
  • ianbar
    i think i have found the issue, when i have threaded the cable through the shifters the cable is not slotted in correctly, but i am not having no luck at all at trying to get the cable out!
    enigma esprit
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    barrel ends in the shifter right?

cable is tight?

does the mech move with your hand?

is the cable clamped right? (shimano have an awful habit of changing the nut cable interface)

did the shifter work when the cable was not in it?

trim adjusters - are they just screwed in 1 turn and sitting squint and nipping the cable?

cable outers - are the ends open and is there anything to catch the cable (bic biro is useful here)

after that........ single speed..........
  • ianbar
    wohoo front is now working if very still shifting down to smaller ring, now for the rear but can't see the end of the cable in the shifter on this one!
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    I'm almost there the rear is now shutting but i don't seem to be able to get all the gears now, is this just the cable tightness? i do see to struggle to get it as tight as i feel i should
    enigma esprit
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    If its all shifting with the shifter but not the mech then its time to set up the mech - head to Park Tools or You Tube for this.

Very well done 'on getting this far though.
  • ianbar
    yeah will look on park tools forgot about their videos! that sound a bit like what i need to do. to cool off been doing some other little jobs! will tackle her again tomorrow!
    enigma esprit