ultegra chain

bianchirider
bianchirider Posts: 21
edited May 2012 in Workshop
I have been wondering about putting an easy link into my chain to aid with cleaning as dont have any outdoor space at my new flat to clean the gears etc.

Will there be any noticable impact on the current smoothness of the chain?
Would it be better to buy a new chain tool and some pins and split the chain each time?

If i go down the easy link route which would be best for an ultegra 6700 chain?

Thanks

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    No discernible difference using a quick link, choose whichever chain you fancy, as long as it's 10 speed!
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I'd go for the KMC link - it's the only 10 speed one (that I know of at least) that is designed to be reused. The SRAM one don't claim reuse, though many people use it that way without problems.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • I have used KMC Missing Links on both of the Ultegra chain's that have been fitted on my bike over the last couple of years. Had no problems at all. In fact I fitted a second Missing Link to the chain currently on my bike after I found a crack in an outer plate of the chain. Done many miles with two links fitted without issue.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The Clarks links are a bit cheaper than the KMC units and work just as well IIRC.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    When I bought my CAAD it has an Ultegra chain with 2 powerlinks on! I didn't notice it until much later. I assume he used a 11t-23t cassette and had a short chain and then put an extra length and used a 12t-27t cassette. Still I never notice it.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    KMC Missing Link! Make sure to look for CL559R.

Sram are non-reusable. Clarks are made by YBN (Yaban) - yuck.