Wheel builder in Staffs area?

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2012 in Workshop
Need to get a wheelset built up, but one local shop doesn't build black wheels up (says something like the black spokes rub against each other and stick)

Rims I'm considering are only available in black, so black/silver hub with silver spokes will look a bit rubbish, so anyone recommend a decent wheel builder in Staffs area?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Brian Rourke or Longstaff Cycles? No personal experience but I have friends with nice looking custom bikes and wheels built by both these shops and neither have had any problems.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Black rims on silver spokes do actually look much better than you think...
    Black spokes cost twice the price and don't offer any advantage. The alleged corrosion resistance is something that I have never experienced, never had a rusty spoke... the part that gets damaged by corrosion is the thread, which not black anyway.
    There are also reports of them being shorter lived than conventional silver ones
    It's the classic lose-lose situation...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Black rims and silver spokes look really good. I do not build with black spokes as when I tell people the price of them compared to silver they choose silver.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    check out Goldtec on Brampton Industrial Estate

I know a lot of shops use them for builds. Their wheelbuilder only comes in twice a week

Simon