New Puncture Resistant Tyres - Schwalbe or Continental

pizzaboyEdinburgh
pizzaboyEdinburgh Posts: 52
edited May 2012 in The workshop
On my new CX bike the tyres are Schwalbe Racing Ralphs but i think that I should be getting something more appropriate for cycle paths and roads. I commute 5 days a week and am looking for a totally reliable, grippy tyre for mainly good weather (but occasional showers) riding.

I can't decide between:

1) Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 28 about £26 each

2) Schwalbe Durano Pus 700 x 28 about £22 each

3) Continental Gator hardshell about £26 each

4) Continental Ultra Gatorskin about £23 each

My hybrid has Marathon Plus tyres and I know that these are tough to get on but very reliable.

Which should I go for?

Comments

• I've only used 1) the marathon plus as recommended by local bike shop. They have proved to be puncture resistant over a few hundred miles of daily commute and feel hard and easy rolling for a treaded tyre but I'm not sure the grip is the best for that tyre for anything wet or off road.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • I should say that the cycle paths are tarmac but often have leaves and twigs on them... they aren't really off-road like rough paths.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    From my own experience, Gatorskins aren't quite totally reliable. From what I've heard, Marathon Plus sound OTT for the use-case you mention. I've just put a 700 x 28 Durano (not plus) on the front of my commuter and been happy with it but I've only done a single commute (37 miles round trip) on it so far ;-). TBH, given the type of cycling that you do, I would be tempted by Duranos (given the positive reviews that they get on here), or the Durano Plus if you are adamant that they must not puncture. Having said that, I've no experience of the hardshells...

_
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    Don't forget the Michelin Pilot City, cheaper than a Marathon Plus.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/miche ... y-trekking
  • I've gone for the Schwalbe Durano Plus 700 x 28 choice. I've had good experiences with Schwalbe up to now so this is a chance to try something different to thr Marathon Pluses. Found them for £43 a pair.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Good choice. I have M+ on the winter bike and D+ on the summer bike.

If I only had one bike I'd go for the D+, much lighter than the M+ and still very good puncture resistance.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I use Durano S for most of the year - in December/January I shift to other bikes but the light Durano S is fine for at least 3 of the 4 seasons. Keeping the air pressure up and avoiding the gutter is more important for avoiding punctures than the exact model of tyre.

I wouldn't touch Marathon Plus with a big stick!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Conti Gator Hardshells are v. good and still roll nice.

I have had zero "unplanned deflations" in 1000 miles so far.

They can be a bit nervy in the wet though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I haven't had a puncture since switching to protected tyres, Snow Studs in winter, Gator Skins now Somewhere approaching 1200 miles.

Gators aren't bad in the wet so long as you stay out of the mud.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    pizzaboy...... how are you liking the Durano Pluses? Have Conti Cyclocross 700 35s on at the moment and am wondering whether the Schwalbes would offer any tangible improvement. The weights are probably similar, maybe the narrower and slicker tyre could be quicker. Oh, and where were they at that price please?
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • I put the Durano Plus tyres on at the weekend and have so far done about 35 miles to work and back. The tyres feel good and seem perfect for my road and cycle path needs. I am a bit careful going over kerbs nd am very happy with these.

They were pretty easy to fit... a lot easier than the marathon plus tyres i have on my other bike. they are also considerably lighter than my marathon pluses

I did get them from highonbikes.com and they arrived in 2 days... great service and a total bargain.

I am pleased with my purchase... go for it
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I ride in suffolk with sharp flints everywhere and in the last 1200 miles I have not had a puncture with gatorskins. the Marthon plus is a very good tyre though but heavier. Gastors are slicks and marathons have a thread. Depnds on what you want. I think the gator skins suffer if run at low pressures. I run mine 23x tyres at 110 psi and my 28's atr 100 psi. I know a few folk who have had punctures with gator skins but they all ran lower pressures than me or they got unlucky, you decide.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Go for Schwalbe marathons, pick them up for under £20.