Chain cleaning?

dan1587
dan1587 Posts: 15
edited May 2012 in Workshop

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I havent used the Park Tools one, but the Muc-off one is significantly better than all the others - more brushes at more different angles. It looks like it is probably better than the Park Tools one for this reason too, but many people swear by that. Dont think you can go wrong with either.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Park plus paraffin.

The brushes eventually destruct but you can buy spares.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • simonsays
    simonsays Posts: 25
    with most chains coming with power links i think it is easier and a lot less messy to just remove the chain and put it in a tub of degreaser
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    simonsays wrote:
    with most chains coming with power links i think it is easier and a lot less messy to just remove the chain and put it in a tub of degreaser

Clean plastic milk container - pint sized is enough. Take the chain off, feed into the container, drop of degreaser, lid back on and shake. Fish chain out & rinse. Makes a messy job surprisingly clean.
  • ferritic
    ferritic Posts: 120
    As above...

Coffee jar half full of diesel, lid on, quick shake = clean chain
  • dan1587
    dan1587 Posts: 15
    Cheers for the replies guys, I will give this a try!

Thanks
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    A question - I have been removing the chain (I get the undo/redo link fitted to all my chains) but I have been dropping my chain into petrol. Should I use petrol - or is diesel better?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Well diesel will not catch fire as easy ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    smidsy wrote:
    Well diesel will not catch fire as easy ;-)
    This is sound advice. Petrol vapour spreads surprisingly quickly and you can be a long way from a source of ignition and it will still catch light. I very effectively removed an anthill from my lawn, a large radius of grass and all the hair from my shins. I poured a tiny amount and stood a good few metres back before throwing a match. Use diesel, or paraffin.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Dont bother cleaning your chain too often. Just use Rock'n'Roll lube as the instructions tell you and the chain will constantly be kept clean. My chains do 5000 miles (a year) like this.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Rock N Roll is good stuff, but paraffin is a lot cheaper :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    It is also much better to use diesel or parafin as they are both light oils rather than a distilated solvent like petrol is. They both do just as good a job at cleaning the chain but dont totally strip the oil/greace from the inside of the rollers. Plus any resadue left into the rollers is a lube rather than a friction increacing solvent.

Shaking in a bottle/jar is much better than a chain cleanser as it removes the dirt without rotating the rollers anf hence removing the internal lube too much. KMC even instruct directly AGAINST using chain cleaning machines, as do Campagnolo.

That said plenty do use them to good effect, but I find it easier to remove with quick link, shake, dry, lube and refit.
    10 mins tops. let the dry lube dry whilst the rest of the drive train gets a wipe over.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Thanks for the advice. Looks like it will be diesel then. Never thought of oiling before I put the chain back on - doh!