Upgrade Boardman Team Carbon to Shimano Dura Ace C35 Wheels?

Kupepe
Kupepe Posts: 76
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I own a Boardman Team Carbon 2012 with its standard equipment. I have been taking part in some amateur races this season and based on the time I have to train during the week I am in the top half of the participants. However I cannot seem to break into the top of first half of the finishers. Since I cannot pull more hours of training, since my weekly schedule is that of a normal working person and my amateur mindset cant go deeper in training styles do you think that investing in a pair of second hand Shimanos Dura Ace C35 would have a substantial impact in my riding? Do you think that wearing that type of wheels in a bike like mine is ok? All reviews say that it is a great frame and I truly believe that it does make me a better rider than I truly am, but is it worth it to buy such a set for this frame and keep them for my next frame if I am determined to pay for a frame upgrade?

Thanx

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Kupepe wrote:
    All reviews say that it is a great frame and I truly believe that it does make me a better rider than I truly am

Its a budget entry level carbon frame.

It would be like putting lipstick on a pig
  • I was always pretty cynical about gucci wheels. Always had Mavics cxp33 on Shimano hubs, 32 hole three cross etc. I've just bought some CS-80's 24 and I bloomin love em. In my opinion they do make a big difference, especially getting up to speed and keeping it up. So the C35's should be even better. You do know however the best way to improve your race standing is to do more and more bleedin, painful intervals though don't you.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I honestly don't think that buying some new wheels will give you that step-change/breakthrough you want. Sure, they add a little boost and will make you smile but most of the benefits that I have found from wheels at my level (RS80, handbuilts, etc.) are about feel (responsive, lively, spin up well, etc.).

Why not spend the money on a few sessions with a decent coach? If you get a nice training plan (based on your targets/failings) and stick to it you may get more tangible results. Failing that, perhaps a week at a training camp (somewhere warm) before your next big event?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you can afford to upgrade the wheels - do it, you'll save weight, the ride will feel better and you'll get the placebo effect.
    There's nothing wrong with the frame you've got despite what the odd arsehole will say.... but when or if you upgrade the frame/bike the wheels will stay with you and you can use the others through winter.