Beginner bike suggestions help.

andrewmwylie
andrewmwylie Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi, I have been really interesting in beginning to get into mountain biking, had some runs in some friends bikes and loved it, so I've been looking around for a good bike to begin with.

I should say that it will still be used for getting around every so often but I do plan to do some lighter trails and then onto more.

What would you guys suggest? This has caught my attention so far,

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec031689

cheers,

aW

Comments

• check out halfords carrera range
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Budget?

The XCT is at the bottom of the rung fork wise and it's the fork that makes a bike useable as a mountain bike, the Carrera Vulcan wiped the floor with the competition in MBUK's group test, that or the Voodoo Bantu are worth considering at this price point for there much better forks alone, the fact the rest is better spec'd is a bonus.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    There is already a guide on here in the FAQs, right here.
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    You can get the Voodoo Bantu for £360, with the Halfords on-line code, when you reserve and collect in store. This is the bike I was going for until others told me to try and up budget, if I could as it would be worth it in the long run.

If you can stretch you budget to £500, the best on the market sub £500, is the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 (2011). This is what I went for after MUCH research and questions about the bike to experienced riders.
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • check out halfords carrera range

Will do cheers,

Also , The Beginner, I've heard good things about that bike. I've also been really interested about the Voodoo so thats good. I reckon my budget will be £400 limits.

Thanks guys.

EDIT.

After a look around reading up on the Voodoo, this looks to be my favourite so far. Has anyone had any experience with the Voodoo Bantu?

Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remember that buying a bike is not like buying a car, 85% of the components on it are the same as those fitted to many other bikes (in the Voodoo's case, mostly much more expensive ones....) Halfords service can be a bit hit or miss, try and speak to someone who is clearly a cyclist and is enthusiastic, not a jobsworth.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    For your budget, look for 2011 models as you will get alot more for your money... I'm sure you'll still find some... I know chain reaction cycles bought all the 2011 Kona stock that was remaining, so check them out maybe?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838