Where's the weight in my bike

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Hello I have a 2009 trek madone 4.7 ultegra equipment. If I was wanting to reduce weight where would I start? Or is it worth the cost? Are my bontrager race wheels where most of the weight is? If so how much to replace, what benefits would I see. Cheers in advance of any replies
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    It's not one thing, it's everything. If you went to full Dura-Ace you'd lose 300g. You could go to carbon bars and lose a little. Maybe a 100g lighter saddle?

Does your fork have an alloy steerer? Mine does and I could lose 250g by going to a full carbon fork.

Biggie is wheels and tyres. Many race tyres are around the 300g mark, you could lose maybe 80g a tyre and a little on dearer tubes. Not sure what your wheel weight it but I'll bet you could find some a few 100g lighter if you had deep pockets.

So all in you might find a kilo but the only parts you'd keep would be the frame and maybe the seatpost. Only thing you'll really notice is rotating mass saved on the wheels.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Why do you want to loose weight of the bike. Is the bike for racing if it is then weight lose may provide some benefits.

The also you will loose a kilo in sweat quite easily on a hot day. Will that do? If you have the coin and determined to loose weight an SRAM red 2012 groupset is only 1770g apparantly. That is lightest. Continental GP4000 20-622 tyres are quite light at 195g each. Some fetherweight tube lkike RAce28 light (or whatever they are called) and lightweigth rim tape are quick and relatively chepa changes. Other than that, new wheels with DT swiss 180/190 hubs and stans alpha 340 rims would be pretty light as would the right carbon forks, seatpost, stem, bars, tape, saddle..... You could ruin the feel of your bike though.

Oh I forgot the frame.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Start at the bottom and work your way up - rotating weught is worth double and its where you'll feel the most change. You don't have to go for pure race only wheels - something like a Planet X 50 carbon (or Chinese job from scuzbay) will save loads of weight, not cost much and be stiffer and roll better whilst being pretty bombproof.

Then go for the big things: drop the cranks and go carbon, lighter pedals (you can save 150/200 grammes from going from chunkies to carbons, or even Speedplays if the budget gets there). Then drop the seat post with an alloy head for one that is full carbon (eg Easton EC90). Alloy/carbon wrapped alloy bars can go for ones that are pure carbon. Then stem, seat, brakes, gruppo, etc.

As above - change forks for something like an EC90 SLX and you'll save loads.

Essentially the world is your oyster but its expensive. Choose the right stuff and it'll be lighter, stiffer, be easier to get up to and hold speed and nicer to climb with.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Carbon wheels are fine but a carbon brake surface does not grip the pads as well. Some will find this o.k others not. Try someone else carbon rims first before you buy! How heavy is a trek Madone 4.7 ~17-18lbs. How much weight can you resoably shave of maybe 2-3 lbs. You will spend thousands getting this bike down below 15lbs with new parts.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    The weight is on the saddle (I'm not being facetious).
    A good poo will lose more weight than a load of cash.

How much do you weight?
  • Many years ago I was in the Sunlight, and one guy Moffo was the club weight weenie of his day, always looking to save a gram here and there. One time he came in to the Mills with his Campag Record gear levers filed out having saved I don't know 3 grams. Everyone was suitably impressed at the skill and precision of his efforts, and the weight saving benefit.
    Tea Moff?
    Yes please.
    Do you want a piece of fruit cake with that?
    Yeah, that'll be great.

Classic!
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    If I was wanting to reduce weight where would I start

maybe as alluded to above can you lose some weight also? or are you at a finely honed racing weight? :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Godwin's law of internet forums that says at some point someone will mention someone else being a Nazi.

We need a name for when a bicycle weight thread has someone suggesting the rider lose weight...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    JamesB wrote:
    If I was wanting to reduce weight where would I start

maybe as alluded to above can you lose some weight also? or are you at a finely honed racing weight? :)

This so old it's getting dull, I very much doubt any of use are "at a finely honed racing weight" unless there are a few pros posting anonymously!

What's so wrong with someone wanting to lighten/pimp their bike, without the weight watcher/slimming brigade piping up, everyone likes nice things otherwise we'd still be riding Raleigh Shoppers!
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    What's so wrong with someone wanting to lighten/pimp their bike

absolutely nothing wrong at all as long as it isn`t a `I want to lose 100gm off my bike to go faster` quest when really most of weight is teh rider !

I like my ultralight Q/R skewers `cos they look pretty but they wont make me faster up hills :o
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Godwin's law of internet forums that says at some point someone will mention someone else being a Nazi.

We need a name for when a bicycle weight thread has someone suggesting the rider lose weight...

Nobbys Law?