Shimano Ultegra - triple to double

Chris MB
Chris MB Posts: 15
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,

In the middle of my first effort at building a new bike. I have been trying to swap over parts from my old bike which is full ultegra, but now a little dated. Decided to finally drop the granny ring and move to a double. Have purchased and installed the double fine but wanted to check that I will be ok to use the same front derailleur? I have checked out a few on-line stores and noticed that you can purchase long and short cages??

Also, will I be ok to use the same cassette? The new double is also ultegra (same size outer ring 53, both 9spd, but not sure of which model) so assumed it wouldn't be a problem but again, a little more digging and it seems that different combinations, even in the same brand and range, don't always work.

Really appreciate your support. It's a bit of a mine field for first time non techies!

cheers,

Chris

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Need to know what actual items you have to be definitive.

The other thing to consider is the shifters, some Left shifter do double and triple but some do not.

Generally the rear cassette and mech should be fine.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    A triple front dérailleur will have limits in terms of minimum tooth difference between rings and maximum overall. If you know which model of DR it is you can check with the shimano tech docs. If the double chainring you have is a compact I.e. a big difference between them then the chances are you will be ok. You mention having a 53 outer so I'd check the tech docs or be prepared to do some DR fettling.
    Long rear cages are needed to allow for big differences in chain 'slackness' when you are running a triple or compact double with a big gear range. So a long cage can be used even if you only need a short cage. As you have a triple setup already you will probably have a long cage so probably no worries there also.
  • Chris MB
    Chris MB Posts: 15
    Great, thanks both for the advice. Think I will give it whirl with the current DR and see what happens!