Converting a 9 speed to 10 Speed

dragonontheedge
dragonontheedge Posts: 496
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Putting aside changing shifters and the chain am I right in thinking that all I need do is remove the spacer from behind the 9 speed block on the back wheel and then slap in the 10 speeder ?

The wheel is a Mavic Askium.

Cheers

Al
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I think that you'll find that you need another spacer - one mavic and one shimano.

This came up in a post a couple of weeks ago.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Compared to a 9spd cassette, a 10spd Shimano cassette needs an extra spacer but a 10spd SRAM one doesn't.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Thanks for all your replies.

I am surprised that the 10 speeder needs extra spacers. Still you are all more experienced than me.

Frankly, having looked at the cost of the 10 speed block and knowing that I have got by with 9 speeds since God was a boy I dont think I can be asked.

Cheers.

Al
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I know what you mean, to go from 9-speed to 10 means:

New STI's
    New Chain
    New Cassette
    and preferably new front Chainring and also brakes (pull of levers sometimes differs)

That lot will set you back say £600 for Ultegra and i only paid £300 for the whole bike (used).

So you need to invoke the N+1 rule and keep the 9-speed steed for winter.
    Yellow is the new Black.