Riders and Race?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited April 2012 in Pro race
May be a bit of an obvious one in part, but can you name the riders and race? No Googling now :wink:

3353259239_3659b0ba5a_o.jpg

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Chris Boardman on the left and Brian Smith (I think) in the Raleigh Banana gear. No idea of the race.
    (Would it be cheating if BrianS posted, identifying himself?)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Look like British fences to me - Tour of Britain, Yorkshire?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    @brismithy and CB in Tour of Lancashire. Year 1993.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Dave_1 wrote:
    @brismithy and CB in Tour of Lancashire. Year 1993.
    100% correct. Bravo sir.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,209
    LangerDan wrote:
    Chris Boardman on the left and Brian Smith (I think) in the Raleigh Banana gear. No idea of the race.

It's Banana Falcon isn't it? Bikes don't look like my old Raleigh Banana replica!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Pross wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

It's Banana Falcon isn't it? Bikes don't look like my old Raleigh Banana replica!

You're probably right. On the plus side, at least i got the "banana" part correct.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    They were riding Keith Lambert bikes in 1993 and were just Team Banana I think.

Boardman won the overall.
  • Pross
    Quite a tough climb that, what one is it?
  • Pross
    880624-ManxIntlRR.jpg

How about this one then? Again, no cheating by looking at the photo properties!!
  • Ben Luckwell (?), Paul Curran and not sure who the third rider is.
  • Pross
    Ben Luckwell (?), Paul Curran and not sure who the third rider is.

The third rider was an up and coming youngster at the time apparently. He went on to do OK ;)

Could never understand how big Ben could get over the hills, used to see him at local races occassionally and he was quite a lump!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It looks like the Isle of Man International.
  • Pross
    Correct, Manx International (1988 I think).
  • dave_1
    Pross wrote:
    880624-ManxIntlRR.jpg

How about this one then? Again, no cheating by looking at the photo properties!!

Lcukwell, Curran and Brian Smith, Manx International 1988..on snaefell, or coming off it, after railway track
  • Pross
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    880624-ManxIntlRR.jpg

Lcukwell, Curran and Brian Smith, Manx International 1988..on snaefell, or coming off it, after railway track

I'm going to need more information ;)
  • dave_1
    Pross wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    880624-ManxIntlRR.jpg

I'm going to need more information ;)

well, you got that out of June 1988 Cycling (now Cycling Weekly I was there too, but at the finish waiting and watching.
  • Pross
    I didn't know the original source of it. I was there two years later riding the Manin Veg 3/J 1 lap version of the race and got caught by the main race on the mountain after getting dropped!
  • dave_1
    Pross wrote:
    I didn't know the original source of it. I was there two years later riding the Manin Veg 3/J 1 lap version of the race and got caught by the main race on the mountain after getting dropped!

I did the two lap event the same year as you then....Scott Obrien, or Andrew Roche?? won, I was 4th or 5th