What Sportive bike

Farnham Gooner
Farnham Gooner Posts: 18
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
I am looking at a new bike, I currently ride an old Raleigh Absolute 8000. I have really got into sportives, but sadly at 48 I need something that offers more comfort.

I think I have narrowed the search down to the following;

Cannondale Synapse carbon 105
Scott CR1
Specialized Roubaix Elite

All are carbon, specked to 105 level and are broadly the same price, give or take 100 smackers.

Does anyone ride any of these and have some thoughts or advice?

Cheers
FG

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    edited April 2012
    I am looking at a new bike, I currently ride an old Raleigh Absolute 8000. I have really got into sportives, but sadly at 48 I need something that offers more comfort.

I think I have narrowed the search down to the following;

Cannondale Synapse carbon 105
    Scott CR1
    Specialized Roubaix Elite

All are carbon, specked to 105 level and are broadly the same price, give or take 100 smackers.

Does anyone ride any of these and have some thoughts or advice?

Cheers

FG

Have you ridden those bikes? I have ridden the Synapse and the Scott, both nice bikes, but I did not feel the love from the Scott,I got close to buying the Synapes but then I rode some Treks and that's what I need up getting, a Trek which was a wrench, cos I love a Cannondale me. Any way the Trek was the better bike for me.

Out of the three which one did you like best? Or did you feel a bit "meh" about all of them. Are you in a hurry, if not ride some more bike within that price range. Enjoy the process of choosing the bike, it's fun.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    +1 to P9uma. You have to ride the bikes to see what fits and feels right. Go test ride and see what floats your boat and have fun finding your new steed.

I'm also plus for the Trek. A few years ago when I was looking and had about £1200 to spend I was ignoring the Trek for no rational reason as I did like the look of them and of course the race heritage of winning with Lance Armstrong suggested they knew how to make a decent road bike. All the same I was looking at everything but. Then a guy I was riding with let me have a ride on his Trek Madone and wow I was hooked. For me it was a great fit and the bike was amazingly responsive and comfortable. Sadly his model was way out of reach new but I managed to find a hardly ridden 2 year old one and the guy sold it to me for £1400 (I had to stretch the budget but it was worth it). I've had three amazing years riding it and have done a dozen Sportives and London to Paris on it. Having been fortunate to have some spare cash I decided to get a new bike and after test riding all sorts of bikes again I've just paid my deposit on the new Trek 5.9 with Di2. For me the Trek fits and feels great to ride. Might be worth adding one to your shortlist for a ride.

That said the only way to really decide what is right for you is to go and try the bikes out. I've not ridden the bikes you list and I am sure they are all very good and as you say are similarly specced so it does come down to feel and fit on the bike. If you do that and can't separate them then the decider becomes which is the best looker! Well most of us want to think we look good on the bike too :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Thanks guys for the replies,
    I have ridden the Cannondale and the Scott, neither left me feeling woww, but both were nice. But compared to my current alloy boneshaker they should feel nice, but i wanted to feel wowwed.

The Roubaix is a late entry to the list, I haven't ridden it but will try to get to their shop in Richmond to give it a go.

The trouble with the 2012 Elite is I really don't like the colour scheme, the 2011 model is a much better looking bike but doesn't have the internally routed cabling and I really don't like the way Specialized route the cable hanging under the top tube. I know all of that is pathetic, but £1800 is a lot to spend so I want something I can look at and admire.

I do like the look of the Treks and have a Trek mountain bike, I know you can get the H2 fit but none include the comfort enhancements that the Cannondale, Scott and Specialized do and I need them.

Many thanks though for teh input.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    You need a Ti bike :) for your budget you could get a van Nic Yukon, very comfy, takes mudguards too--which is a useful feature :) . Use mine all year round , seriously have you considered along those lines?
  • p9uma
    Do you, as your user name suggest, live in Farnham? Have you been to East Street Cycles? Or can you get to Pedal On in Tadley, between Reading and Newbury, they have a huge selection if bikes there, and they'll let you test ride, and they have a fittin gadget thingy, and a coffee bar. If you can get yourself over there and ride a few bikes you'll be sorted.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • My Good Lady has the Spesh Ruby in 105 spec. This is a Rubaix, with geometry and handlebars specific for ladies. She raves about it and is not easy to please. You'd not go wrong with a Roubaix, I suspect.

I'd recommend looking at the Wilier Izoard in 105 spec. Reviewed on Bike Radar recently, and costs around £1750 as well. I've got the Ultegra version (as the 105 version wasn't around when I was buying) and it is a superb steed. Sexy looking as well!

That said, I doubt you'd go wrong with anything sportive or "all day comfort" focused from the main manufacturers. It's a fiercely competitive market, and ultimately, if a particular bike fits, is comfortable and you like the look of it, then it's the right one.

Enjoy the purchase process!
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    ALaPlage wrote:
    I'm also plus for the Trek... the race heritage of winning with Lance Armstrong suggested they knew how to make a decent road bike.
    I would say that Epo, blood doping and all the rest had more to do with his 'wins' than what bike he rode. :lol:
  • I do live in Farnham and have been to ESC, that is where I tried the Synapse, that is a great local bike shop.

I am out Reading way tomorrow so I will take a trip to Pedal On, that looks like the kind of place to wile away a few spare hours and maybe £'s.

Thank you one and all for the advice and suggested new additions to the list, like someones says I will enjoy the purchase process, it is fun.

Have a good weekend, avoid the worst the weather can throw at us.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Just been to Pedal On myself. Very, very helpful and great range.

Only problem with the Trek Madone 3.5 is finding one. They're having to rush out the 2013 models as they've sold pretty much all of the 2012s. Pedal On had a size 60 Madone 3.5 when I was in there, but that was it (plenty of Cannondales, Scotts and Giants though). They did have the models above and below in the range. You should be able to get 10% off the list price of most bikes in there too.

They're happy for you to take them out on a loop they recommend and they will give you some decent fitting advice even if you don't go for a full bike fit. As it happens, both the Cannondale (already ride an alu Synapse) and Scott fit me well. Didn't try a Trek.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Oasticles
    Oasticles Posts: 19
    Have you thought about a Bianchi Infinito? There are some 2011 bikes around that would come in around the same price as the bikes you mention. I bought one recently and it's really comfortable for an old codger like me!

That said the Trek 3.5 is great too. I rode both but got seduced by those Bianchi curves.
  • p9uma
    Just been to Pedal On myself. Very, very helpful and great range.

Only problem with the Trek Madone 3.5 is finding one. They're having to rush out the 2013 models as they've sold pretty much all of the 2012s. Pedal On had a size 60 Madone 3.5 when I was in there, but that was it (plenty of Cannondales, Scotts and Giants though). They did have the models above and below in the range. You should be able to get 10% off the list price of most bikes in there too.

They're happy for you to take them out on a loop they recommend and they will give you some decent fitting advice even if you don't go for a full bike fit. As it happens, both the Cannondale (already ride an alu Synapse) and Scott fit me well. Didn't try a Trek.

Rarer than shoes on a fish, I happened to find one by accident last week in my LBC. Great bike.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Why has no one mentioned the Giant Defy?

The defy advanced 1 would be my choice.
  • p9uma
    Oi! Farnham Gooner! Have you seen this?

viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12849809&p=17585891#p17585891

I'm not sure what size you need or where the bike is based, but if this ticks all your boxes this is a deal, a steal, the sale of the feckin century.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • xtc_special
    xtc_special Posts: 130
    + 1 for the Trek Madone, just bought a 5 month old 4.5 madone that the owner had upgraded the brakes to ultegra and the wheels to pro-lite bracciano along with new conti gp4000s tyres. :D

This bike just eats the miles, the only thing i will change is the seat as it is not that great.

Good luck with the search.
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If I were considering parting with £1,800, I'd want more than 105 fitted to the bike.

Suggest you have a look at Ribble's special edition bikes. For less than £1,500 you can have a carbon frame with full Ultegra groupset, leaving you money left over to put towards a decent set of wheels (if their upgrades don't suit and you feel the need to upgrade).

Good as the Spesh and Trek bikes are, I suspect quite a chunk of their list price goes into sponsorship and marketing budgets rather than the build cost.

Peter
  • alihisgreat
    northpole wrote:
    If I were considering parting with £1,800, I'd want more than 105 fitted to the bike.

Suggest you have a look at Ribble's special edition bikes. For less than £1,500 you can have a carbon frame with full Ultegra groupset, leaving you money left over to put towards a decent set of wheels (if their upgrades don't suit and you feel the need to upgrade).

Good as the Spesh and Trek bikes are, I suspect quite a chunk of their list price goes into sponsorship and marketing budgets rather than the build cost.

Peter

For £1800 I'd want more than a £300 generic chinese frame on my bike..
  • ALaPlage
    northpole wrote:

Peter

I believe that most of the list price after costs would go into product development and the sport (although investing in the professional racing in itself is marketing and sponsorship). There are a lot of Trek knockers out there but I do wonder how many detractors of the brand have actually owned or ridden a bike from them. I appreciate or get a sense of that some of the Trek bashing has a lot to do with their association with a certain Mr Armstrong and I refer to Biking Bernies offer in this thread as an example.

After test riding a whole host of bikes I am about to swap my 2006 Madone 5.9 for ......... Yes a 2012 Madone 5.9! I thought I would go for something a little different maybe with some heritage such as the Colnago CLX, Pinarello FP4 or maybe see what newer "kids on the block" had to offer such as Cube with their Litening HTC.

The Trek won primarily because it just felt so good to ride and for me better than the other bikes I'd tried. It also for £3400 comes with Ultegra Di2 and Ultegra wheels which was best value in all the bikes around that price I rode. Colnago and Pinarello being £600 dearer and the Cube at the same price as the Trek coming with Dura Ace and DT Swiss wheels was a close runner.

My advice is always review and investigate all your options in your price range. Create a short list of those that most meet your needs and wants on paper and then go and find them in your local bike shops and get a test ride. Then you'll find what feels right and is the one to plump for.

Trek 3.1 or 3.5 if you can find one should certainly be a contender for your short list and offer great comfort and responsiveness with a good kit level for Sportive riding - unless of course you really don't like a certain retired American professional cyclist and it would dent your moral values to ride a Trek :wink:
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Oh dear, I seem to have said the wrong thing!

I should in all fairness point out that I do not have a Ribble bike, nor any association with the company. My comments are based on the experience of a few work colleagues who have bought their bikes of Ribble.

Not sure where the Chinese frame comments are coming from nor on what they are based. Ribble carbon frames are designed by Dedacciai and, I presume, like most other bike frames these days, are made in Taiwan. Cheap labour, maybe; top expertise in working carbon bike frames, definitely. I think you'll find a few Condor bike frames come from the same design house.

Not sure why a part quote of mine was included by the last poster before heading off on a Trek knocker lambast. As I stated, I have no doubt their bikes are high quality designs, as too are any number of other manufacturers. It's all a matter of perceived value really - as with the idea of £1,800 for 105 groupset, if I had parted with £3.5k and got ultegra groupset & wheels, well... we clearly perceive value differently. The ultegra di2 works remarkably efficiently, but have you looked at the rear derailler? Not Trek's fault, but a very disappointing bit of product design from Shimano IMO. I guess we differ in perceptions of both value and design.

When setting about buying a bike, you may also wish to consider buying pre-owned. Personally, I wouldn't dream of buying anything else. Partly a reaction to the way bike prices in general have shot up with the UK bike boom over the last 5 years and partly to the way they lose value. Just requires a little bit more patience to ensure you get the bike you want. Fully appreciate this route is not for everyone - many folks will not be comfortable without a full warranty which you only get with a new bike.

Peter
  • oli2001
    oli2001 Posts: 350
    ribble sportive bianco? full carbon and can upspec the wheels and groupset to matchthe cost of the other choices
  • ALaPlage
    northpole wrote:

Peter

Not at all. Having an opinion is a good thing. :D

I suppose my point is that whatever an individual thinks of Trek they do make a high quality frame which comes from a lot of investment in r and d. You are right that value is always perceived. Same as beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. Bontrager x lite and xxx lite is good finishing kit and the 3.5 comes with Ultegra at £1800 and not 105. As such and compared to other main stream brands the cost of Trek is comparable.

In the price bracket I have just looked at the Trek came with better kit than both the Colnago and the Pinarello and they were £600 more than the Trek. So ultimately my view is I can't agree with your inferred point that Trek bikes are more expensive because they are making the customer pay more due to their marketing costs. But that's just my view :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • alihisgreat
    northpole wrote:

I should in all fairness point out that I do not have a Ribble bike, nor any association with the company. My comments are based on the experience of a few work colleagues who have bought their bikes of Ribble.

Not sure where the Chinese frame comments are coming from nor on what they are based. Ribble carbon frames are designed by Dedacciai and, I presume, like most other bike frames these days, are made in Taiwan. Cheap labour, maybe; top expertise in working carbon bike frames, definitely. I think you'll find a few Condor bike frames come from the same design house.

Not sure why a part quote of mine was included by the last poster before heading off on a Trek knocker lambast. As I stated, I have no doubt their bikes are high quality designs, as too are any number of other manufacturers. It's all a matter of perceived value really - as with the idea of £1,800 for 105 groupset, if I had parted with £3.5k and got ultegra groupset & wheels, well... we clearly perceive value differently. The ultegra di2 works remarkably efficiently, but have you looked at the rear derailler? Not Trek's fault, but a very disappointing bit of product design from Shimano IMO. I guess we differ in perceptions of both value and design.

When setting about buying a bike, you may also wish to consider buying pre-owned. Personally, I wouldn't dream of buying anything else. Partly a reaction to the way bike prices in general have shot up with the UK bike boom over the last 5 years and partly to the way they lose value. Just requires a little bit more patience to ensure you get the bike you want. Fully appreciate this route is not for everyone - many folks will not be comfortable without a full warranty which you only get with a new bike.

Peter

That doesn't change the fact that the ribble frames are £300 frames. and yeah £300 frames are good on a £1k bike...

but you can get better if you go for something else at higher price levels -> and who cares if its ultegra over 105? I'd rather have a better frame than a better groupset.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    That doesn't change the fact that the ribble frames are £300 frames. and yeah £300 frames are good on a £1k bike...

That's actually not a fact! It is more a piece of misinformation :wink:

I think even the Evo is well over £300 inc forks and the rest of them are generally over £500.

FWIW I have two Campag Centaur equiped bikes - one a Ribble (£450 frame) and one a Look (£2000 frame). I love the Look but, having compared the two over thousands of miles, I'd say that anyone who thinks a Ribble isn't worth sticking higher than 105 on hasn't ridden one. It's a great frame; both in terms of value and in absolute terms. I doubt there are many people who could tell the difference between a £500 Ribble frame and a £1000 Trek frame. And, as is well known, there isn't necessarily any difference at all between some Ribble frames and those of some other manufacturers aside from the paint job.

Of course, if you are talking about Ribble in terms of brand imagery, then that is something else though far more a matter of personal taste. But I did assume you were talking about the capabilities of the frame itself. Just because you've paid more for one frame than the other doesn't actually mean that the more expensive frame is any better.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • oli2001
    oli2001 Posts: 350
    eg de rosa r385, rbble stealth and dengfu fm 028 all same frame;-different price. guess which one has the greatest mark up!