chain replacement

wonky
wonky Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Workshop
im confused i am running on a Shimano 105 system and need to replace my chain. I thought that i should replace it with the same 105 chain however i have been told by several different bike shops local to myself that you can replace with another make. PLEASE HELP AS I AM CONFUSSED WITH WHAT TO DO

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    The world's largest chain manufacturer is KMC.....they also make Shimano's chains for them. I must admit there does seem to be a deliberate attempt by all the different manufacturers of bike components to make it confusing so you stick to the original type whrn replacing. Other chains will fit Shimano gear.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'd go for a KMC chain myself. The quick links are so much easier than the Shimano joining pins
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    You can use any 10 speed chain from Shimarno, KMC or Sram. KMC seem to be best priced and as good quality/lifed as any.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    KMC with the really funky quick release link and available from Chain Reaction Cycles for a pittance.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, I run 105 on one of my bikes and the KMC X10L works very well (well made, good weight without paying silly money, etc), even comes with the quick link.
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    Surely the matching Shimano range chains shift better? I believe they're uni-directional and machined to match the corresponding groupset exactly. The KMC chains are just generic one size fits all non directonal chains. Or does it not make any difference in practice?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edited April 2012
    Who's been reading the Shimano marketing blurrb then ;-)

£30 for a Shimano less than half that for KMC and with a quick link - I know which one I go for.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    KMC it what I use in the shop. KMC on campag works very well too. KMC in Shimano will shift just as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Adn KMC don't break after 100 Miles like Shimano....
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    I'm reasonably confident that not all Shimano chains break after 100 miles! But thanks for your opinion.

Does everyone agree the whole Shimano uni-directional thing is marketing rubbish and it doesn't help shifting?
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    I've tried KMC, Shimano and SRAM on my bikes (MTB & Road). KMC have lasted logner and change just as well if not better IMO. I haven't bothered looking at prices at other chains or a few years so can't commetn on that but for me it's KMC every time.