Converting to 9 speed hub

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Right folks, thanks for all the advise to date. You have been very patient dealing with a newbie like me.

I am in the process of changing the setup of my bike. I have some new wheels coming, which have the ability to run upto 10 speed. Given i am new to road biking i dont think i need 10 speed so i thought 9 would make more sense.

I have bought a tiagra 9 speed right shifter to match and obviously need a new rear 9 speed cassette. My bike currently runs a double speed crank.

So what other parts do i need to carry out the conversion. i guess i need a new narrower 9 speed chain. Do i need any kind of spaces and if so what ? My bike currently has a long cage rear mech, does this need changing, if so to what? Also will i need to change any of my front end components? Front mech, different crank (?) or have i got all the bits and now just need to get my hands dirty?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Having no idea what you're converting from what to what I'll have to guess a bit.
    Front shifter / chain rings / mech you can leave. 7/8/9/10 speed agnostic.
    10 speed wheel runs a nine speed cassette without spacers.
    9 / 10 speed chain
    I had problems with my rear mech moving from 9 speed to 10 speed, if you're going the other way a nine speed chain might be too wide. Seeing as you're not changing the chain length then the cage length of your mech shouldn't be an issue.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    So in principle if i was to upgrade the rear mech at the same time, does it matter what cage length i go for with a 9 speed set up? How do i know what chain length is right? Sorry i am probably explaining myself very poorly.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    I love it... you're doing a Frankenstein!
    I am very pleased with my Frankenstein creations...
    left the forum March 2023
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    How to set chain length.

You shouldn't need to change the rear derailleur, but you will probably find that the cassette is in a slightly different position so you will need to adjust the limit screws and obviously set up the indexing from scratch.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The rear mech cage length is mainly determined by what gear combinations you wish to run.

If you are looking to have a large rear cassette (say 12- 30) then a short cage is unlikely to work and you would likely need a long cage rear mech.

If you are running say 12-25 the a short cage would be adequate.
    Yellow is the new Black.