Is it possible to change gearing on 3-speed?

Kozak
Kozak Posts: 36
edited May 2012 in Workshop
Hello - have recently bough an old 'Centurion' ladies 3-speed (Sturmey-Archer) bike to try get the wife to ride. Have had a go myself and fine on the flat but going up-hill even in 1st gear is very hard work. I know that the hub has the 3 gears built in, and I assume is not changeable, but is the front sprocket (-don't know the correct cycle term for it) could that be changes to make up-hills easier or not?
Or is it just a case of getting off and pushing up hill?

Comments

• You could change the rear sprocket for something bigger, would need a new (longer) chain as well.

Here's a selection: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets-hub-gear-dept631_pg1/#filterkey=brand&brand=STURMEY_ARCHER&page=1
  • Kozak
    Thanks for reply - I have not looked closely at the rear hub and assumed the sprocket was fixed, did not realize that it could be changed - need to count how many teeth it has on it as standard.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IIRC it's just a circlip holding the sprocket in place.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Changing the front chainring shouldn't be a problem; you'll need to know the PCD of the chainring bolts and the number of bolts, obviously.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Kozak
    In the end got 2 bikes with the 3-speed set up, the 2nd one was much easier going up-hills - counted the rear sprocket teech and the 1st bike has 18, the 2nd one has 21.