On a climb banging left knee against frame

MrCubeLtd
MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello, not sure if this is down to lack of experience or fitness. When on a steep offroad climb, I am leaning forward to keep the front wheel down and you know when you go from side to side on the handlebars to help with accerelation up the climb I am catching my left knee with the frame. ie pumping the bike to get up the climb and left knee will bang the frame. Does this make sense?

Can anyone give me some pointers please?
I'm pedalling as fast as I can!

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Just summising really you must be throwing the bike side to side quite violently to be banging your knee on the frame and as for this action climbing techy stuff I don't see the benefit as your just wasting energy try pedalling more fluidly and stay in the saddle just shifting your weight back and fourth.

Look at your bike set up is it comfortable to ride and if so look at your riding technique as you shoudn't come in to contact with the frame, just sounds like rider error to me.. :?
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • MrCubeLtd
    Yep thats why I was asking to confirm its rider error :D

The climb is very steep but short, it only happens when I am up on the pedals and I don't have the stamina to climb sitting down, hence on the pedals. Tomorrow weather permitting I will try again but with less violent side to side.

The other problem is my gear selection, again down to lack of experience, I start the climb in too lower gear and don't really get the power at the start and then I am having to side to side on the bike to reach the top.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    use the easy gears, thats what they were designed for
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    chez_m356 wrote:

This. I don't have the stamina to get out of the seat (except in short bursts) on steep climbs. Easy gear, front of the seat, weight forward, move back if/when you lose traction on the back wheel
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    chez_m356 wrote:

This. I don't have the stamina to get out of the seat (except in short bursts) on steep climbs. Easy gear, front of the seat, weight forward, move back if/when you lose traction on the back wheel

Ditto.

I VERY rarely get out of the saddle on climbs - i'm a firm believer in using every gear possible and just sitting and spinning. It looks less dramatic than all the out-of-the-saddle huffing and puffing, but is generally more productive!!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps I think you mean you start in too high a gear (small cog). Low gears are easier to pedal in (bigger cogs). You need to anticipate and shift early, before you start struggling. Give it time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MrCubeLtd
    Hey thanks everyone for the encouragement and remedy. I'm not disheartened as only been riding a few weeks, still a lot to learn. But would like to get mistakes ironed out as soon as possible so that I don't learn bad technique.

The storm forcaste for Cornwall, well over Newquay anyway appears to have shifted. But you never know in these parts :D Will definitely hit the climb again today to give it another go. Might do it a few times to get it sussed (long breaks in between to catch my breate back!) :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ride with a large group, and (I'll leave out the single speed nutters as they can't climb anyway), those that sit and spin tend to go uphill faster and less out of breath than those that monster it up in a taller gear, get into the middle or granny ring at the front and at the bottom end (biggest gears) at the rear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    MrCubeLtd wrote:
    Hello, not sure if this is down to lack of experience or fitness. When on a steep offroad climb, I am leaning forward to keep the front wheel down and you know when you go from side to side on the handlebars to help with accerelation up the climb I am catching my left knee with the frame. ie pumping the bike to get up the climb and left knee will bang the frame. Does this make sense?

Can anyone give me some pointers please?

"Honking" is less efficient than sitting down and spinning a lower gear, if you do want to power up a hill try and keep the bike upright as much as possible.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • MrCubeLtd
    Got stormed out today so gonna have to be tomorrow instead. Been picturing in my head, the climb although short it very steep with sand at the bottom. Too much infact, so that when you hit it the front wheel as a tendency to slide out in the sand. Hence, I think why going so slow at the start as I'm scared of stacking! Need to go with a bit more speed and like everyone said, keep practising with the gears to get it right. :D
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Another thing.. Is your sdaddle low or high?

The higher your saddle the easier it is to stay seated on climbs...

Use lower gears and just chill and spin.. Don't pound unless you just want to waste energy...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • MrCubeLtd
    Sorry for the delay in reply. Moved back to Surrey at the weekend only just got everything straight.

My saddle is high and not lowered for climbs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are planning any rides in Surrey Hills, Swinley or thereabouts keep an eye on London Calling in rides. Welcome to join in and it's easier to talk to people in real life about riding.

Plus we'll get to see you crash.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MrCubeLtd
    :D

You know when you laugh it hurts, yes mate thats made me laugh. Thanks, is there a crash section for pics? If not I'll sign up first!

Yep will keep an eye out for rides. Thanks for the info