newbie in burnley

liveforever1982
liveforever1982 Posts: 78
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
hello guys just saying hello,actually got my giant hartial a few years ago and got out on a few easy trails,but then new job a change of location and marriage gotin the way. now looking to get back intoit properly but my fitness isn't there so just starting out on the canals to start with.

Comments

• IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Welcome to the family :) .

Going along the canals is a good way of getting into it but if you've got a local woods than that would help with your handling skills and i'm not sure about the canals round your way but i'd be aware just in case you get stopped by some one asking for your licence number as by law your suppose to have a licence and display the number on your bike and it's suppose to be around a fiver for 12 months as i found this out about 10 years ago when i was out cycling on the canal through Bollington but only some areas bother with enforcing this so you might be ok lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • lee quarry is just up road from me but not sure if it is suitable for a novice?? didn't know about the licence for riding along the canal thought that only applied to fishing,with the amount of bikes i've seen on the canal both push and motor i don't think it's something thats enforced round this way.haha. gareth
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Hi Gareth ,

It's the same with the canal that runs through my local area as no one seems to bother but just a few miles further up it's a different story which was a surprise to me when i got stopped as i'd been on the canal locally for years and no one had ever mentioned it before .

Theirs a few members on here that go to Lee quarry who could advise you but my 1st time racing an MTB was at a Quarry up Macclesfield way ( Bosley ) and even though i hadn't been riding an MTB very long i entered into the down hill event and managed 3rd place which was all down to how confident i was feeling at the time and knowing not to push my self beyond what i felt comfortable with .

Ian
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    Hi,

I live in Nelson and have been out of the saddle for years and have just gotten back into things and looking at further a field.
    I went to Lee Quarry and have to say it seems fine for a beginner but the signs are terrible, give it a go though its not far at all.

Ill be up exploring soon again and off to gisburn when we are treated to a bit better weather.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • do you mean the trail is bad signed or actually getting to the quarry? deffo sounds worth a trip up.
  • Mikelancs
    do you mean the trail is bad signed or actually getting to the quarry? deffo sounds worth a trip up.
    Both! You won't find it unless you have been before and the signs on the quarry are not the best I've seen.
    I'd be happy to meet up and show you one weekend !
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    By Car from Burnley,

Todmorden road to the lights at cliviger, straight on.
    Or Manchester road turn left across from pub (used to be Bull and Butcher) follow road right down to the junction turn left then right.

follow that road right down through weir until you come to a T junction(Bacup centre),

Turn Right, follow this road until you come to Future parks business centre on the left (pub on right),

Turn Left into carpark, the road goes down to a dead end and a raised closed off carpark on your right, Lee quarry is up that track (big fcuking hill) at the top.

Simples....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • sounds easy enough haha i get lost going everywhere so lee quarry will be no different, cheers
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Hurstwood Resevoiur (can'r spell res lol) there's a short MTB track up there I've head of, hurstwood village side it is

Caz xxx
  • hurstwood looks ideal for me from the video on youtube thanks for the link
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Welcome, thinking of going over to have a go as well :) not ridden much lately and confidence is shot.

Caz xx
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I will be up there Sunday with my boy again, probably around 3pm ish, only one techy section that may intimidate a beginner, but its good fun (also I improvised and did some off piste jumps)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Mikelancs
    Might see you up there then Alistair !
    Not sure what I'll be riding yet!, nice to see another fellow rider with the need to get out Caz! Might see you up and around there then.
  • I live in Colne and would really recommend Hurstwood. You can carry on up the fire road onto the moors and then come down with mini jumps over the water things, finishing off with the mini trail, quite a blast, just right for a summer evening after work. But watch out for walkers in the forest I had to pull up a coupla times/ . Personally I would say Lee Quarry is a bit technical to get started on/building confidence. Gisburn Forest is absolute quality, just north of Clitheroe,with a good progression from blue, red and black, whereas Lee Quarry is all red and black and the hill is quite a beast. The great thing about round here is you can just get on to pretty well any bridleway and it will be a gas. Checkout the Mary Towneley loop as well, though it is hard graft.
    My best time on the lower (main) loop at Hurstwood is 1m 55secs, interested to know what are other people doing it in?
  • **quick update** due to a very busy year,i've not been out on my bike for 12 months now( sob sob). I have got it all ready to go though,so once again will try and start off on the canal.if anyone wants a riding buddy please give me a shout cheers. gaz