crank changeover advice

iboga
iboga Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
hi forum!
ive been riding MTB on and off now for maybe 15 years and have decided to get back on the saddle!
Im re-speccing a frame with some better parts and wanted to know if I can change a normal 3 ring crank with another that has exactly the same teeth count? Will this be OK or are there some major catastrophes waiting for me?!!

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Crank should be fine, just the BB that might cause issues, that and a worn chain unless you're replacing that and the cassette as well.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • iboga
    thanks for the help! the bike is totally new (in fact, I haven't recieved it yet!), so there's no wear on any parts.
    You mentioned the bottom bracket - its a square taper 68mm, what kind of compatibility issues may arise?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Most cranks now use external bbs. If you're replacing an internal one with an external one you'll need to get the bb shell faced. You're lbs should be able to do this for £15-20.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • iboga
    thanks again oodboo :] I think im good to go
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe a bit more info, like what you bought and what you want to change.
    And why buy a new bike and start changing cranks etc?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iboga
    Hi! well I'm buying a MTB with a fitted Shimano Tourney which I researched and found it to be bottom of the line.
    Found a new Alivio on eBay which mirrors exactly the same fits as the Tourney and thought it would be a good investment. I really want to change the Shifters, front and rear mechs too! Maybe to Alivio or Deore
  • cooldad
    It might be easier and cheaper to buy a bike with better spec to start off with.
    Or buy a decent frame and build it up.
    Things that make the biggest difference are forks, tyres and wheels, much more so than mechs and shifters.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • iboga
    you know, the bike im getting does have a rigid fork, so maybe that's a better option than a new crank!
    Can you recommend a good budget Fork? (around the sub £100 mark)
  • cooldad
    Nope. IMHO you are just buying the wrong bike whatever it is.
    Maybe post a link to the bike, give an idea of what type of riding you want to do, and take it from there.
    And what your total budget is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • iboga
    hey cooldad :] the main reason Im interested in changing parts is because im a self-confessed tinkerer of sorts! the reason I got a low specc'd bike was because I wanted to add new parts to it and customise it to my preference (which i find immense fun) the bike is made by FORME and its a hybrid so works well with my usual road riding style and its also very light (12.1kg) which I hope to get down even further! I hear what youre saying about the wheels and that will definitely be up on my list, atm ill focus on drivetrain and breaks as most of my riding will be on the streets. Ill post a picture as soon as it comes in :]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://www.formebikes.co.uk/bikes/hybrid/ nothing there on rigid forks.....

Which bike are you looking at? Many Rigid forked hybrids won't take suspension forks without ruining geometry.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.