Tyres - what tread and what size?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have made a bike completely from scratch and it has a set of quite worn Kenda 2.1" tyres so i am looking to find a replacement to them. :(

The problem is that i am a confident rider and i have surprisingly few accidents but i would like something that will have good grip on a mixture on rock, mud and chalk with water as i wouldn't like to fall off a 100m drop anytime soon. :shock:

Is there any type of tyre that will be good for the job? :? (i would like the price to stay reasonably low) :roll:

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    you may be asking the impossible there matey, the features that make a tyre good in mud would more than likely compromise it on rocks. chalk not sure about that? is it bit like clay to ride on??

probably wouldnt be very fast rolling either.

what about Conti Rubber Queen 2.2, new Mountain King II's, Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Maxxis Wet Screams/Swampthings?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sounds like the 2.3 Continental Baron would be good, quite pricey though. I've only used it twice since I've borrowed it off someone but one time was on the Innerleithen natural trails which is a mixture of mud, roots and rocks and it coped very well then I used it on my local hills which is a mixture of some rock and clay, possibly a bit of chalky stuff as well which it also coped very well with. Was quite dry up my local hills but quite wet at Innerleithen but never found myself wanting more grip, was properly laughing at how well it just stuck to the ground in the mud where I would normally be tri-podding around the corners.

Just wish I didn't have to get a Der Baron for the DH bike and a new dry tyre or I would have a little Baron already.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    i find riding on chalk is usally 60/40 luck/skill
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    sanchez89 wrote:
    you may be asking the impossible there matey, the features that make a tyre good in mud would more than likely compromise it on rocks. chalk not sure about that? is it bit like clay to ride on??

probably wouldnt be very fast rolling either.

what about Conti Rubber Queen 2.2, new Mountain King II's, Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Maxxis Wet Screams/Swampthings?

And also chalk is like riding on wood: very slippery and crumbly when wet but is like badly laid tarmac when dry so that's why i'm not cycling on the south downs today.

But thanks for the advice peoples! :mrgreen:
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • peter413 wrote:
    Sounds like the 2.3 Continental Baron would be good, quite pricey though. I've only used it twice since I've borrowed it off someone but one time was on the Innerleithen natural trails which is a mixture of mud, roots and rocks and it coped very well then I used it on my local hills which is a mixture of some rock and clay, possibly a bit of chalky stuff as well which it also coped very well with.

Do you run Barons front and back? Is this the best combination?
    LRRs