New Hubs

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently running budget Alex dp17 rims disc,which have been great with no problems. Is itpossible to change the non descript hubs for better quality ones??? If so anyone recommend some smooth running hubs at a price that won't break the bank. Anything else I might need???

Comments

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    In all fairness you may well find it cheaper and more worth while to upgrade your entire wheelset, upgrading hubs means a whole rebuild of the wheel, a long anf costly task to those who have to pay to do it! you may well be better off buying say a second hand wheel set or a new set. but if i were in your position i would go for a new set of wheels whether second hand or new is upto your budget but if you want wheels to last try to get a wheelset with hope hubs!
    Ben
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    which have been great with no problems

it does beg the question... why change?!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think he's satying the rims have been great, not the hubs......

Willing to bet they are laced to Formula hubs, on the heavy side but seem to last fairly well.

Seconded though, new hubs plus (probably) new spokes due to different flange sizing plus circa £20/wheel for the build, just get a new pair of wheels and keep the old as spares or sell on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.