First Carbon Bike

grant_walker
grant_walker Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
i am 17 years old and im looking to get a reasonably price carbon road bike, preferably with ultegra and within the price of £1500- £7100 pounds. I would like to have it quite light as i do weigh less than 70kg and my last aluminium-steel set up didn't do me justice on the hills, not to mention having a shimano 2200 geartset!

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    i am 17 years old and im looking to get a reasonably price carbon road bike, preferably with ultegra and within the price of £1500- £7100 pounds. I would like to have it quite light as i do weigh less than 70kg and my last aluminium-steel set up didn't do me justice on the hills, not to mention having a shimano 2200 geartset!

I'm guessing you mean 1500-1700 £
  • brimmers
    brimmers Posts: 47
    Look at last months bike of the year in cycling plus. Focus Izalco, Trek 3.5, Canyon, Cube etc all get fantastic reviews around your price range.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love the look of the cube agree GTC. Perhaps an older model of that?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a55294 ... html?lg=en
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Cycling Active has a group test this month of carbon bikes in that price range. I think from memory they rated the Trek Madone 3.1 best with the Spesh Roubaix a close second. Personally I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. Get the one that fits best and you like the looks of.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Are you planning to buy a complete bike or would you try building one yourself?

As I am building a carbon road bike myself atm I can advise you to check out Planet X.
    They do complete bikes at reasonable prices but if you can find the pieces second hand you're gonna be paying alot less.

Myself I found a full Planet X SL Pro Carbon frameset including stem, bars, clamps, s/post and headset for £280 here on the forums in the Classifieds section.
    I already owned a full Shimano 105 groupset so all I had to buy was some cables, bartape and some other minor stuff for personal preferance.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    A friend of mine has just bought the Trek Madone 3.1 (£1499.99) and after a 10 minute ride on it I decided there and then that, without trying to sound too "Little Britain", I want one.

Problem is that the missus has decided that I don't want one. It is going to take me a long time at £30 a week to save up.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • klep
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    A friend of mine has just bought the Trek Madone 3.1 (£1499.99) and after a 10 minute ride on it I decided there and then that, without trying to sound too "Little Britain", I want one.

Problem is that the missus has decided that I don't want one. It is going to take me a long time at £30 a week to save up.
    Can get much much better than that for this money!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Ringo 68 wrote:

If you can afford £30 per week without the missus becoming all hormonal then take a look at an interest free deal from one of the major Trek retailers. Leisure Lakes stocks the Madone 3.1

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=17342

On that spend they would offer you 18 months interest free after a deposit of £150.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Article.aspx?&id=59

I think your £30/week would stretch to that. After all it's only money and you know you want to.
  • klep
    nathancom wrote:

This is very schmexy indeed! Gotta change them tires though...
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    arlowood wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

If you can afford £30 per week without the missus becoming all hormonal then take a look at an interest free deal from one of the major Trek retailers. Leisure Lakes stocks the Madone 3.1

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=17342

On that spend they would offer you 18 months interest free after a deposit of £150.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Article.aspx?&id=59

I think your £30/week would stretch to that. After all it's only money and you know you want to.

Thanks for the links. I have Formby Cycles reasonably local to me which are doing 3 years interest free on a Madone.
    I have their brochure which I keep leaving around the house with the odd "have you seen the deals in here?" thrown in for good measure.
    I will get there, it is just a case of wearing her down. :wink:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    I will get there, it is just a case of wearing her down. :wink:

Kung Fu is quicker, or a trip to buy new shoes and a meal so she is distracted whilst you buy shiny things :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Never Ever discuss buying cycling essentials with your other half. If pushed everything costs 50% less than actuals.