Summer Baldy's head protection

woozor
woozor Posts: 117
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Just thinking ahead to those hot summer days.

Being a "baldy" I don't fancy sun stroke in the summer. So what do you other baldys wear under your helmet that will protect you from the sun whilst still feeling cool and not cooking your head?

Comments

• you could try sun waterproof sun cream.Put it on a good hour before going out in to sun so it soaks in and does run in your eyes when things gets sweaty as I would bet it will sting.
  • doubledenim
    doubledenim Posts: 119
    Try a cycling cap under your helmet...

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 670-70.jpg

I wear one all year round and I have hair!

Sunstroke = no good
  • doubledenim
    Ps if you buy one that is 100 percent cotton and thin it won't cook your head
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    How about one of those Buff neck tube things, you can make one into a thin hat. I have the free one that they gave away once in Cycling Plus.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Factor 30 should last all ride ...

Or if you're really worried forget that Kivilev died and do what the pro's did before then and wear a cycling cap and no helmet ... Around 200 pro's raced half the year at twice your speed and only 1 twatted himself ... That's about 1/60,000 ...
  • Eyorerox
    Eyorerox Posts: 43
    Try one of SweatVac products either the Skull cap, Ventilator or Stubby
    http://www.sweatvac.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=SVS
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buff, hedy, bandana. All will keep the sun off and soak up the sweat. Fantastically versatile.
  • woozor
    woozor Posts: 117
    Ok cheers all.

Think ill go with a cycling cap or the Assos robofoil cap looks spot on just a bit pricey. Might wait for a sale :wink:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Try a cycling cap under your helmet...

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 670-70.jpg

I wear one all year round and I have hair!

Sunstroke = no good

I wear one all year round and DON'T have hair. I also find it good for bug splats and when it rains. Which it will. I find it gets a sweat ring especially in summer so needs washing every now and then. The peak on the cap is also useful since you can't have a peak on your helmet when riding a road bike. Its in the rules.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Assos summer cap under helmet here which can be picked up all over for about £10. Peak helps with sun or rain in your face, cotton top stops the sweat running down so much and stops novelty suntan stripes on top of your head. If you've a deathwish just wear the cap on it's own for that retro look :wink:
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I don't think I could wear anything under my helmet in the summer because of sweat. Even in the winter wearing a skullcap for protection from the cold I could wring it out when I return home.

As I tend not to wear anything at all on my head unless I'm cycling, the skin doesn't really burn, as it builds up a tan prior to the sun arriving. If I go abroad I use suncream - usually about factor 15.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I wear a Buff nearly all year round (it does get washed every so often!)

I put some sunblock on my nose then put my sunglasses on, then put the Buff over the top. They fold up all sorts of ways. The way I do it some of it hangs down the back of my neck and gives some protection there. It's great for soaking up whatever sweat would drip down.

It probably gets few strange looks with it hanging out below my helmet. But I've had sunburn. And the strange looks only last a few moments, the sunburn lasts much longer. :roll:

Strangely I don't notice much in the way of overheating. On longer rides I have occasionally stopped to wet it and then put it on. Very cooling. On colder rides it keeps me warm enough on top, and a bit of my neck.

Definitely worth a try. Mine was about £10-15. All black with a faint grey pattern. I'm sure you can get all sorts of colours.
  • Not bald but I could sweat for England, dripping into eyes nightmare if nothing there.
    Just switched from a sweat-absorbing windproof headband band (getting too hot),
    To something called....

Comfy multi-functional head wear 3-pack made by Oxford Essential Outdoor Equipment.

5.99 from TKMax. for the three tubes.

Info says sun protected.

Nice and cool so far!
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Over the last couple of weeks I've developed a helmet vent pattern suntan on my bonce..one of the joys of being bald I guess.

I've just bought some factor 45 sunblock cream so will see if that helps. Think i'll also give the buff a whirl, got a free one last week at the Cheshire Cat, never used one before so will need to get a hang of how to wear it :?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pipipi wrote:
    It probably gets few strange looks with it hanging out below my helmet. But I've had sunburn. And the strange looks only last a few moments, the sunburn lasts much longer. :roll:

I wear a buff this way most of the time. Works well. I'd imagine a cap would be far less comfortable under the helmet but the visor is obviously potentially useful though mostly I find those handy only when cycling towards low sun which isn't such an issue in summer.

I do still wear the suncream underneath though. I doubt that a well stretched Buff over my nogging is definitely going to protect it on a long hot ride.
    Or if you're really worried forget that Kivilev died and do what the pro's did before then and wear a cycling cap and no helmet ... Around 200 pro's raced half the year at twice your speed and only 1 twatted himself ... That's about 1/60,000 ...

Yaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • doubledenim
    Seriously the cap is comfortable and doesn't have much more material than a buff. Try it! Most cycling shops have tons of caps in the bargain bins.

If you have to ring it out after due to the sweat, so what! I also find it helps keep the chill off for those early starts, you can always remove it later should you wish

To the OP, try and buff and cap. We're talking an outlay of 20 pounds to do that and it'll avoid sunstroke and prevent sunburn on the head
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I've never been burnt through my helmet or the vents. Is this really a problem that you've been suffering from, or are you worrying just in case? My biggest gripe is insects flying in!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I use a cotton cap or Coppertone sports spray spf30, used it over in the States and was impressed, you can't get it over here so i order it through Amazon. It comes in an aerosol can, it's not greasy and it's waterproof.