Which Garmin edge?

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
Which Garmin Edge gets the biggest thumbs up chaps ? I'm currently leaning towards a 500 with cadence & hr. I don't really need a map function.

Appreiciate your input / opinions

:D
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you've answered your own question, I suspect.

If you don't need the mapping then the 500 is the obvious choice. The HRM is very useful but I don't bother with the cadence, personally.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • shedhead
    i want to start using an hrm to get into zone training, i assume they're good for that? the only reason i mention cadence is i ride a fixed wheel for my 12 mile each way commute every day, so i have a nice smooth action & would be interested in how that equated on my best bike & could i use that for training too? or is that overkill ?
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • maddog 2
    The HRM thing is definitely relevant to training but, for me, I've got a decent cadence so I'm not bothered with measuring it.

The zone thing is very easy to monitor. Some devices have alarms which beep when you go above a limit (the Garmin might for all I know...) but for road work it's easy enough just to watch the readout and judge your effort based on that. It's a great bit of kit. When I originally bought it I was pretty sceptical about it's usefulness and only really bought one as I had some spare cash (?) but now I use it all the time.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • shedhead
    Cheers Maddog2, i think i'll go for one of them fellas
  • maddog 2
    check handtec.co.uk

that's where I got mine - good price + service.
  • the edge 500 does some VERY basic mapping... in that you can pre-load a route and it will tell you when to turn. no pictures though.