Do I actually need a mountainbike for canal trails?

sandhun
sandhun Posts: 24
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hello, I'm a leisure cyclist and am thinking of buying a new bike.

I plan on doing a lot more cycling across canal towpaths and trails over the coming year. I may also do a little bit of cycling on the roads.

Would a hybrid suffice for this purpose or should I really be considering a mountain bike?

Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Canal trails and similar gravel paths, no MTB needed, if the gravel is quite loose a road bike on skinny tyres can be a bit 'nervous' so consider a cyclocross bike or some form of Hybrid (some of which are effectively MTB's with road tyres and rigid forks).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sandhun
    sandhun Posts: 24
    Thanks. Cyclocross or Hybrid it is then. One other question - would you advise buying from a retailer such as Evans or Wiggle?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    anywhere you can sit on one and feel comftable, Local bike shops will be most helpfull and knowlagble compared with the klikes of evans/halfords etc
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Carrera Subway always looks like a good buy to me.

Slightly more MTB than road bike, decent spec, rigid forks (i.e. no cheap & nasty attempt at a suspension fork), MTB tyres.
  • Budget first then after that id suggest getting a cyclocross bike. or a roadbike with cyclocross style tyres, rather than mountain bike.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You do seem to pay a bit of premium for certain types. Id keep a broad mind. My father uses a whyte 901 for this sort of thing. It does the job fine even if he is massively over biked for the task.
  • McWulf
    McWulf Posts: 19
    For towpaths, I still use a Revolution hybrid I bought 6 or 7 years ago from Edinburgh Bike Coop for around £200. The chain and mechs have been replaced but otherwise it's absolutely fine. Even has a mudguard!

I see people on high end road bikes who seem comfortable on canal towpaths. Depends on the surface I guess. Near me they're tarmac or gravel but if you're on something softer then go for fatter tyres than the road bikers would use.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I was looking at a Boardman flat bar road bike in Halfords the other day and it looked like it could fit some fatter 700c tyres. Would make a brilliant fast road bike capable of doing light off roading. A bit more Road than a Hybrid but would probably be faster than a MTB or a Hybrid.

Boardman_Hybrid_Race_xl.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Canal trails vary, some are a bit more wild, have the odd tree roots across and at some points may just be a muddy path across a field. The Wey near me is like that at times, but gets more civilized in towards London though. Some aren't well maintained also.

P.S. Check if you're allowed to ride the towpath. Most are actually private property, some let you ride, many technically require a permit to ride, some forbid bikes entirely.

Aside from that you will likely encounter the very negative attitude from walkers on them, even if you are allowed there. Towpaths are their exclusive property, they hate bikes, and they'll rant if you don't have a bell. If you do have a bell and use it some will jump out of their skin despite having seen you and shout at you for going past slowly. Others just see you and block the path anyway even if you make your presence known.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would get an MTB. Then when you get bored with towpaths you can have some fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    deadkenny wrote:
    Aside from that you will likely encounter the very negative attitude from walkers on them, even if you are allowed there. Towpaths are their exclusive property, they hate bikes, and they'll rant if you don't have a bell. If you do have a bell and use it some will jump out of their skin despite having seen you and shout at you for going past slowly. Others just see you and block the path anyway even if you make your presence known.

This isn't fair IMO - I commute into central London on the GU canal towpath, and almost never come across what you describe above. Bell a definite requirement though.

Back to what bike question, I'd be another to recommend a CX - I ride the 9 mile stretch on a Kona Jake with touring tyres (marathons) and its ideal.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends if it's the kind of path that walkers use a lot, or a grotty old path that's normally used by bikes and drunks sheltering under bridges, and where you can get mugged by chavs and pikeys :D (thinking round my way, the Wey is much the former and bits of the Basingstoke canal the latter ;)).