Torque wrench

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
I need a torque wrench pretty sharpish. Ideally I'd like to nip out on my lunch break and get one.

Can anyone recommend me one from one of the high street/retail park outlets such as Screwfix, Maplins, Halfords, Tool Mart, etc ?

Needs to range from 4Nm +

I have a Ritchey torque key which is ace but I need to go higher than 5Nm

Thanks in advance
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Be careful of the cheap B&Q ones. I bought a 5nm+ one and it was awful and inaccurate at low torques. I got an x_tools one in the end - good and reasonably cheap. not sure where you could get it on the high street though.
  • jordan_217
    g00se wrote:
    Be careful of the cheap B&Q ones. I bought a 5nm+ one and it was awful and inaccurate at low torques. I got an x_tools one in the end - good and reasonably cheap. not sure where you could get it on the high street though.

Thanks g00se, yeah I'm now starting to think taking my time and buying a decent one may be the way to go (unless someone comes up with a solid recommendation). I've found an M:Part one online so may just order that and see if a LBS can help me out in the interim.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217
    Mackays in Cambridge came up trumps. Managed to get a 4-24Nm Sealey torque wrench and separate 4-10mm hex keys for £50. Phoned a LBS and they advised they use the same one in their workshop. That'll do for me.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Merlin Cycles had a Park Tools sale on, not sure if it's still going but I picked myself up a TW2 recently for a good price

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... _QKTW2.htm