Test ride the deciding factor?

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

After reading many posts about new frames/bikes, a regular answer seems to be 'get a test ride/get the one that fits'.
If you had the choice of 2 frames but could only test ride one, would that make your decision for you?

Top of my list is the Giant TCR Advanced SL which is around £2,500 or the Advanced at £1,500.
I can get hands on with these at a local dealer and can get a test ride. There are also finance options and bike fitting etc that can be done there.

But, there are few frames like the Canyon CF SLX or Cervelo R3/R5 for similar prices that I also really like.
I won't be able to see these in the flesh, let alone get a test ride.

As much as I really like the TCR, would I be thinking, 'but it's not a Cervelo' or that I could've saved about £1000 on the Canyon.
I'm just a club rider so I'm sure I'd like all of them? Just get the one I like??

I've bought a couple of bikes/frames over the internet without trying beforehand and things have worked out fine.
For some reason this seems more of an issue due to the cost involved.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Your talking about pro level frames, the quality isn't in question just the fit.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Funny thing but I would go for the £2.5 Giant. I think that the finish on Giant bikes is stunning and they ride wonderfully. Pro rata value is amazing as well. Get on and buy it and get out there :mrgreen:
  • rc856
    Funny thing but I would go for the £2.5 Giant. I think that the finish on Giant bikes is stunning and they ride wonderfully. Pro rata value is amazing as well. Get on and buy it and get out there :mrgreen:

I do think it looks great. Unfortunately, my favourite paintjob is the ISP SL which I'm not sure about as I'll be taking it abroad I imagine.
    Is it worth an extra grand or over some of the others though??
  • RC856 wrote:
    If you had the choice of 2 frames but could only test ride one, would that make your decision for you?

Yes but that kind of money is a dream for me so my priority would be to know I had a perfect fit, access to after sales service and a bike that felt good as I would probably never be able to replace it if it anything went wrong. I get the feeling that for some who post on here that kind of money gets spent every year or so - envy :cry: - so if your in that lucky position then its an easier choice to buy with no test ride and if something is wrong sell 2nd hand, take the hit, and replace.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Test rides are always worth doing if you can but I wouldn't say essential, especially at that price point. Worth googling for reviews though to make sure none of your short-list have characteristics you might not want (mostly super stiff race-only type frames although they're increasingly rare).
    As above getting the fit right is essential though (my best bike I couldn't actually ride the model I wanted as they couldn't cut the demo ISP short enough but I did ride the next model down with identical geo and then got fitted on that).
    I prefer buying complete bikes from LBS's but it's not always possible and Internet brands like Canyon are getting much better with their aftersales now so not much of a worry.
    If you are travelling then you're right to think about whether an ISP is suitable, on mine enough of the top mast comes out that it fits in my EVOC bag but only just, I think a more conventional ISP would be an issue. That said there are bags out there designed to accommodate them so not necessarily a deal breaker.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Your talking about pro level frames, the quality isn't in question just the fit.
    It would be for me, every frame feels different. It is the ultimate deal breaker imo ...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    One way is to get a Retul bike fit then they can tell you which frames will fit you best from your shortlist. I have a Cervelo but if Id known then what I know now after the Retul fit I wouldnt have bought it, as it is slightly too long.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rc856
    One way is to get a Retul bike fit then they can tell you which frames will fit you best from your shortlist. I have a Cervelo but if Id known then what I know now after the Retul fit I wouldnt have bought it, as it is slightly too long.

The Giant dealer also does Specialized and the BG fit stuff so a fit would go along with everything which is a good thing.

Thanks for the comments.
    Where it's been said that the frames are all good at that level, is the TCR going to be a grands worth better than the Canyon etc?
    I do like Canyon although have been put off with some customer service issues I've read about.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    giant man wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

It would be for me, every frame feels different. It is the ultimate deal breaker imo ...

Would you actually be able to tell the differences in a 1 hour test ride, say an R3, SLX or Giant?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    oh god yes, of course. i've ridden both and they felt quite different.
  • Kiwi_rich
    Kiwi_rich Posts: 68
    It's very difficult to test ride the top end frames especially when you are not an average size. For a long time I had my heart set on a cervelo but because my Lbs said it would be touch & go whether the largest size fitted me I decided to try a colnago where they have a bigger range of sizes. On the basis that everyone raved about them I went for it & I have no regrets - it is a dream bike to ride. I have also bought a canyon as a second bike & no regrets there. I had to change the stem to get the fit right & that took a few weeks to sort via post.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Unless all components, tyres etc. are equal then unless the geometry is wildly different it's you eyes that are telling you the difference ... I doubt anyone buys a bike they don't like the look of because it rides better than the one they fell in love with that made them want a new bike ...