XC tweaks to a budget hardtail

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I'm looking at having a go at some XC races this year, be it charity events or organised races, whatever I can find really. I was planning on tweaking my Hardrock to use for the job, with a view to maybe a proper racer if I get into it next year. So first off, what would be the more important components to upgrade easily (cheaply) to help get it fit for purpose. My first thoughts were some SPD pedals, a longer stem, and maybe looking at going tubeless? And of course knocking my unfit lungs and legs into shape.

Any advice greatly appreciated, also any tips on XC events and where to start? Not much fun turning up with the big boys by accident and coming last by several hours.... :oops:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which hardrock and what spec?
  • scarbs85
    It's a Hardrock Sport 09

FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium, fully butted, formed TT, double ORE DT, externally relieved HT, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 hanger
    FORK SR Suntour SF8-XCT-V2, 80mm, 1pc. alloy lower, 28mm Hi-Ten stanchions, 13-15": standard spring, all others: "stiff" spring, coil/mcu spring w/ preload adj., spring assisted seals, disc only
    HEADSET Specialized 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM Specialized 3D forged, 10 degree rise, 25.4mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS Specialized alloy, 25mm rise, 640mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 8 degree up sweep, 3.2mm thick
    GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    FRONT BRAKE Alloy linear pull, 1pc. pad
    REAR BRAKE Alloy linear pull, 1pc. pad
    BRAKE LEVERS Specialized linear pull
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-4, midcage
    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X-4, 8-speed trigger
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-820, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN KMC X8 w/ reusable Missing Link
    CRANKSET SR SunTour, Octalink spline
    CHAINRINGS 42S x 32S x 22S, replaceable
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 113mm
    PEDALS Steel cage, composite body, 9/16"
    RIMS Specialized RH, 26", pinned, alloy double wall, CNC sidewalls, 32h
    FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo, forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, 32h
    REAR HUB Shimano FH-RM30 forged alloy, cassette, QR, 32h
    SPOKES 1.8mm (15g) stainless
    FRONT TYRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TYRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    INNER TUBES Specialized Schrader valve
    SADDLE Specialized XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    SEATPOST Specialized alloy two bolt, no offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT BINDER Specialized alloy w/ QR

Thats a copy and paste of the exact spec when new. I have since fitted Mavic MX117 rims on a Shimano (Deore I think) hub, along with some Hope hydraulic disc brakes I inherited and some Hope rotors. Also some Superstar grips and nano pedals.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Tyres, but the fast tracks are fast tyres already, just work on time in saddle.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forks! The XCT are dire. A recon or reba will shed weight and improve performance no end.
  • forks deffo need upgrading the xct are like cardboard tubes stuffed with cheese with some lumps of lead at the bottom so they feel 'tuff' :P

might want bar ends of some sort to change hand position?

make sure the hub bearings and nice and smooth and greased
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • scarbs85
    Hmmm I hadn't really intended on a fork upgrade. Even the 2011 forks models on CRC are half what the bike was worth new. I appreciate it might make the world of difference, but wouldn't it make more sense to sell the bike and add the money from a fork upgrade (plus a bit extra probably), and buy a new bike with an all round improved spec? I'm working on the assumption that the frame isn't exactly ripe for upgrading...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They will make a massive difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Your best bet would be, if you're not already there, get yourself fit and strong, try a couple of races, and if you like it, buy a better equipped bike.
    Upgrading your hardrock wont necessarily increase its resale price, people still view it as low end even with a good spec, and its pretty much guaranteed that you'll crave something else after getting into racing...