Fox Evolution Series 32 Float 29 RL v RockShox ​Reba ​RL ​29

chrisgavr
chrisgavr Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking between the 2012 Superfly 100 AL, and the 2011 HiFi Plus.

The Superfly comes with the Fox suspension, which I assume is 2012 suspension, and the Hifi comes with RockShox, Im assuming 2011.

Is there a big different in performance and quality? Feature set?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Rockshox is lighter and more adjustable ie adjustable Floodgate blow off, dual air, low speed compression damping. Would be my choice.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have bikes with Fox 32s and Rebas.I prefer the Rebas.As Sonic says more adjustable,and mine have been totally faultless in 5 years of riding.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Terrific. I appreciate the help. Does anybody have any insight about the two bikes in general? Is it worth the extra $400 going to the 2012 model? I noticed the Hifi has a SRAM ​PG-​1050 ​12-​36 Cassette, and the Superfly has a Shimano ​HG62-​10 ​11-​36. Any insight about the Cassettes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    12 rather than 11 is a slightly easier 'high gear'. Don't see the point really in a 12, most have been 11 for years. They weigh roughly the same, and work the same.
  • Does anyone have any insight between the two bikes? I have done a lot of research but am still a little stuck as to which way to lean.

Apparently the front fork is a littler nicer on the Hifi (thanks Supersonic and Spiderman), and the Hifi is also about $400 less, so should there be any reason to go with the 2012 model other than "year"?

The Superfly has Bontrager Mustang (Tubeless Ready) rims, while the Hifi has Bontrager SSR rims. Also the Superfly has Elixir 1 brakes vs the Hifi's Juicy 3s.

Does anyone have any experience with how one bike handles over the other? Build quality? Again I guess the main question is if the Superfly is worth the extra $400, and if not, is there any reason why I should lean one way or the other.

PS - I have yet to sample either bike but will get the change to do so tomorrow (Friday). Thank you
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Topics merged as you are not asking anything different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown