SRAM x9 Shifters

brutaldeluxe09
brutaldeluxe09 Posts: 96
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
has anybody noticed a very slight change in the old style SRAM x9 shifters, the grey and black one, not the new black and white one.

I had one previously which was lightweight with a more plastic feel to it but I have just ordered a replacement, curiosity got the better of me and I stupidly diseccted the shifter without being able to rebuild it.

The new one I have looks almost identical but the shift levers feels as though they are made more from metal rather than plastic and there is also a small rubber cover labelled CC on top which was not present on my previous.

Does anybody know what the difference between the two shifters are and what the CC cover is?

Is this a new version of my older one or have I just been sent some old stock becasue looking at my old one it looks more modern somehow.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, SRAM have updated the shifter and it now has internals similar to those of the X0. Should give a more precise feel with less lever play.
  • thanks for the quick reply supersonic. It's not one of the new shifters with the ball bearings that I have been sent, it's the older version so 9 speed grey/silver in colour. I'm almost conviced that as SRAM are phasing out the 9 speed x9 that I have been an older version of the model. Has anybody used x9 over the years enough to tell me what's up. I don't really the one I have been sent as I want one to match my front shifter (which has the CC screw cap) but I need it for tomorrow, don't have time to send it back and can't find one in any LBS.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, I see. Over the years they did make a few changes as the higher end stuff trickled into the lower end - could probably still be older X0 in tech. i think CC stands for Cable Cradle that equalises shift pull.