Long-term second ride

buffman
buffman Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've had an entry level hardtail for years but it's mostly been in the shed. I've only recently started riding more at a combination of trail centres and local trails where there are some more demanding technical rides in terms of obtacles, roots, drops etc.

I'd like to trade up to something that's going to give me more confidence on the trails and is something that I won't grow out of (technically I mean, I aint gonna be getting any taller at my age).

I initially thought full sus was the way to go but I'm now wondering if a better quality HT would be better (budget is £1-2k). HTs like the Orange Crush look like a pretty agressive bit of kit that will handle the XC trails and some more demanding trails too.

Can anybody offer any advice?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Something with a slack head angle will give you more confidence (aside from actually learning how to ride properly)

I'd recommend a Ragley Blue Pig

Then go on a skills day and be shown how to ride it properly.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    My Brother in law was after a HT budget £1500. Best I could do (If you're willing to self build) was:

On-one carbon 456
    Rockshox Revelation RLTs
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Roval AM wheels
    Kenda SB8 tyres
    SLX groupset
    XT brakes
    Superstar grips/rotors
    Raceface ride stem/seatpost
    Charge Spoon saddle
    Easton Haven bars

Which is a pretty damn good bike for £1500 I would say! Should build up to around 24lbs, but be very abuse friendly.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • buffman
    buffman Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice, sounds like votes are for HT and some skills training, which is no doubt a wise move! I'd been looking at the Ragley Piglet, so good to hear that Ragley gets a vote