2012 Stumpjumper FSR or Fuel EX

jamesj84
jamesj84 Posts: 15
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a spesh rockhopper 2009 expert and have upgraded it last year to 2 x10 X9 components,
Brakes are net on the list etc etc. This is my very fun XC / trail battering bike

I have been very interested in getting a FS bike and loved the reviews for the fuel ex 2011.
As i already have a XC oriented bike would the fuel EX even tho its FS be too similar to my current bike.
Should i go for the 140mm suspension bike, hmmm

How well would the fuel Ex & STumpjumper FSr climb together.

I want to be able to climb nimberly and go down fast, and use routes i woudnt normally choose in my hardtail. I am not particulary interested in big ai or full time DH. Trails, the odd DH path and rocky roads.

My next question is, where can I get a specialized Stumpjumper frame 2012 in the UK?

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I would try and get demos on both bikes. They are both capable of what you want but your personal preference may prefer the bias of one compared to the other.

But for what its worth:
    I recently demoed a Fuel EX 8 and really liked it. The new 2012 frames are very stiff and feel very strong, they also have relatively slack head angle for a 120mm bike. This gives you more confidence when things start pointing downwards and get steep. But the front end is still low enough with the shorter fork so its easy to keep the front end down on climbs. I really liked the suspension system too. It feels very efficient and I hardly felt the need to use the pro pedal, I preferred the extra grip gained from keeping the back end more supple. The grip under braking is awesome, I was able to brake much later and harder into rough corners and still stay totally composed.

Never tried a Stumpy FSR so can't comment on that.
  • Having just gone through the agonisation of choosing a bike from these 2 and other options, I went for the ex8. Love it to bits and it flies up and down hills given me so much confidence. The guy in One of the shops I went in reckoned they were outselling the equivalent Giants 10:1.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As mentioned above, you need to demo both bikes.
    I love the look of the Trek and when I made the decision to buy a FS last year an EX was top of my list. However, when I demo'ed one it just didn't feel right. I also demo'ed a Stumpjumper FSR Comp and immediately knew it was the bike for me.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009