Which replacement tyres for a 14" Carrera Kraken?

Upya
Upya Posts: 11
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have just purchased my wife a second hand 14" Carrera Kraken MTB.

This currently has a pair of Continental Vapour tyres (26"x2.1), which are rather heavy with a deep tread. As my wife hasn't ridden in over 20 years and as we only intend to ride light trails, towpaths and roads, I wondered if it would be worth while changing the tyres over to something lighter and with less tread, to make the ride easier for her.

Can anyone recommend a particular tyre, that would suit these environments without being too fragile and puncture prone?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Michelin AT, light, fairly fast rolling, and grippy enough for what you want!
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYMIMTBXCAT ... at_folding
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If your really limiting the the use to the above, then a semi slick or something with a continuous central tread will probably be best. That would reduce the effort pedalling considerably. You might consider the Schwalbe Black Jack, which in a 2.1 is quite fat (read comfy), and not so stupid light that it will puncture every five minutes. Chain reaction have them for £12.99, although other online retailers are available. For something a little more off road biased, perhaps a Smart Sam?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.