Annoying Rattle - Should I be worried?

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Upgraded to full carbon back at the end of January when I couldn't resist the offer of a 2011 Trek Madone 5.9 with 30%+ of the normal price.

Have been greatly impressed with it and so far have covered around 500 miles - mainly just fitness riding. Have registered for 3 sportives over the next 3 months so am planning to do some serious training in the weeks ahead.

One niggle that has developed in the last week or so is an annoying rattle which seems to be coming from the head tube area. It sounds a bit hollow and plasticky and is most evident when riding over rough tarmac. It's as if there is something loose inside the frame/ head tube/steerer that vibrates when the front wheel is running over a rough surface. When running over smooth tarmac it's not there or at such a a low level that I can't hear it.

The set up is an aluminium steerer with a carbon crown and forks. I have taken the stem cap off to see if there is anything obvious but all i can see is an inverted cup shaped device with splined edges and a threaded centre to take the stem cap fixing screw. Nothing evident that could be rattling or loose from the top end.

The frame has internal cabling so it may be an internal cable mount at the top of the down tube that is the culprit.

I bought it from Wheelbase in the Lakes and would have dropped it in for a check up if it were not for the 250 mile round trip that would be required.

Any ideas out there as to the cause of this rattle and whether i should be worried enough to get to another Trek dealership for investigation?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Are any of the cables between the bar tape and frame knocking against each other or against the front of the stem?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I had something similar on one of my bikes a while ago, it was really annoying me.

It turned out to be the little ring on the tyre valve on the front wheel, this had vibrated loose (the one you tighten down to the rim, I don't know what it's called)

Sometimes it can be the simplest of things, hope you get sorted.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can't believe they'd supply a Madone with the valve stem nuts on :shock:
  • arlowood
    keef66 wrote:

They didn't - no valve stem nuts in evidence so that avenue of investigation is a non-starter.

Went out for another ride today and the rattle was still there. In addition there seemed to be a noticeable juddering in the steering column when riding over really rough bits of road and also under braking on steep downhill sections.

I tried lifting the front wheel off the ground and grabbing the forks to test for movement. There did seem to be a fraction of fore and aft play in the steerer but I'm not sure if that is normal or if it signifies a problem.

Not very clued up on how these steerer/ headsets are put together to know if that play can be adjusted out or if it means a the bearing is worn and needs replacing?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    keef66 wrote:

I thought they came on all bikes, it was a Trek 1.1 though :lol:

and I'm still using the wheels, although these are getting upgraded in the next week or so :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • arlowood
    Just done a bit of Google research on my steerer/ headset set up and i think I may have pinned down a potential source of the problem.

When i bought the bike i did a mini bike fit on a turbo at the shop and decided to go for a shorter stem. The guy in the shop swapped over and fitted the new stem but I seem to remember that he tightened up the new stem securing bolts before he replaced and tightened the stem cap.

If my memory is correct this was wrong. He should have tightened the stem cap first to take up any slack in the steerer before tightening the stem securing bolts. Could be that there was a small amount of slack right from that moment that has got progressively worse.

Tomorrow I will undo the cap and steerer and reassemble in the right order to see if that helps. Will report back
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    edited March 2012
    While you lossening and tightening bolts I would pop the forks out and give the forks a good a good check. I had a similar issue that took me and age to track down and it turned out to be where the Aluminum steerer joined the carbon the carbon was cracked. Worth it for your own piece of mind and before you loose half your face on the road "if" that is the issue.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your memory does serve you correctly, that was a pretty basic cock-up by your LBS technician. You are correct in thinking the top cap should be tightened before the clamp bolts