Stupid Question - Bike Workshop Stand

1981. Posts: 270
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I've just got myself a Bike Workshop Stand (heavy duty type) – stupid question, is it OK to leave my bike in it for long periods (it's out of the way in the stand). Or am I likely to damage the clamp/seat-post of my bike.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    This is probably not going to be much help, but i just let my toptube sit on the bottom clamp jaw, pretty much all the time i am not riding it. Never thought it would cause damage. You have got me thinking now though.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I personally wouldn't do this, unless you can maybe lower the stand enough so that the wheels are on the floor and the stand is not taking the whole weight of the bike.

I wouldn't even do this with a carbon frame though :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Your bike is made to hold up your arse over high speed bumpy roads so a clamp better not hurt it. It is possible that paint can get stuck to the clamp surface and come off or get distorted if the clamp is done up too tight for too long and also some very thin alu and carbon tubes are not strong enough in places to be clamped. Most bikes will be fine if you rest the top tube on a loose clamp or clamping any seatpost should be fine. Remember your seatpost is already clamped in the seatube. :wink: If in doubt give the frame tube a light squeeze or hold the bike up by the spot it will rest on to test for stiffness.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    It will be fine - just don't tighten it to FT.

Alternatively, hang it by the top tube - wrap a bit of rag around the top tube so there is no chance it scratching the paint and do it up finger tight.

As above - bike frames are pretty tough things - hanging it up by the frame isn't going to hurt it one little bit. No difference from hanging it by hooks in a wall.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 to this. It's a bike. It isn't made out of marzipan. As long as you're not crushing any of the tubes it'll be fine
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Don't clamp it insanely hard and don't knock the stand over while it's clamped in.

It's going to be fine otherwise. A bike weighs about 8kg, a seatpost is designed to support an 80kg rider hitting a pothole at 30mph. I'm no scientist but I know which I'm betting is more problematic.
  • Yossie
    Which one?
  • Bike-Rich
    Bike-Rich Posts: 275
    Whilst on topic, anyone know of a good bike stand make?
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    Whilst on topic, anyone know of a good bike stand make?

The very best of pro standard is "Kestrel".

http://www.kestrelcyclestands.co.uk/bic ... air-stands

A reasonable stand and good value is the one made by "Union" and sold under various names.
    1981. Posts: 270
    Thanks everyone! Was just a bit worried that clamped by the seat-tupe and dangling at the angle it was, it would put undue pressure on the rear of the seat-tube post & clamp. I'm no engineer either, but guess it *is* supposed to withstand some pretty severe punishment.

@Bike-Rich – this is the one I won of fleabay, seems pretty good to me (and a steal at £42.00): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251021261253? ... 500wt_1413
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why not just get one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

Takes no time to park the bike and there is no risk of damage if you knock it when it is parked.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yossie
    I use a Park Tools PCS 9 - sturdy, well designed, you can swing the bike in loads of directions and as its only about £70 standard RRP at CRC with all the "get £10/£15 off" vouchers they are slinging around, combined with free postage on something so bulky and heavy, it works out really good value.

It's a nice blue colour as well which is, well, nice.

HTH