Thinking of going downhill!

Asar01
Asar01 Posts: 51
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys/Girls.

I was thinking of buying a downhill bike with a budget of £5000 but i was wondering, is it worth me getting a downhill bike as its going to be used for onroad, downhill, trails and to and from work or is it a bit to much? not forgetting i weight 117kg(not sure if that should matter)

Thanks!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    In a word - no. Downhill bikes should be used for only one thing, going downhill. They suck badly at everything else. Sounds to me you want an all mountain bike. Something like this would be in budget:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lapierre-Spicy- ... fAodG0Z_2w

Believe me, when you point this downhill you will be able to go plenty fast enough.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Instead of spending all that on a DH bike get two bikes, one for DH and one for everything else. £4K DH bike is still a very nice bike and a £1K hardtail for the rest.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    oodboo wrote:
    Instead of spending all that on a DH bike get two bikes, one for DH and one for everything else.

This, I spent about £2500 building my Rocky up and you can get a C456 fully built for around £1500, or an even cheaper bike that is still very good. Leaves you about £1000 spare to keep aside for when you inevitably break things or for new kit like helmet, pads, clothes etc. Also leaves you money some money to spend on spare bits like a set of wet tyres (not essential at all though) and a spare mech hanger. Bear in mind because of your weight you will more than likely need new springs for the suspension if you get coil suspension. Make sure you get dual ply tyres as well, I've seen a few people make the mistake of buying single plys and puncturing all the time.

Most importantly though, have fun.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    +1 for the TWO bikes idea.

Proper DH bike for..well..DH and an aggressive XC/trail bike for the commute, trails & the rest of it.

Also when/if one bike is out of action at least you can get some riding in on the other one :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Asar01
    Thanks for the reply everyone, appreciate it!

But the problem is im moving to turkey so ill only be allowed 20kg luggage meaning i can only take 1 bike...

What do you guys think of this bike? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/why ... n-bike-ec0 30073
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Well let's put I this way. You will NOT. Be computing on a DH bike. Or even riding ant trails.

And your link does not work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Asar01
    Ok so i guess a downhill bike is out of the equation...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/why ... hyte%20146
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Asar01 wrote:
    Ok so i guess a downhill bike is out of the equation...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/why ... hyte%20146

yeah, i'd steer clear of the 146 if i were you. its a sensational bike, very, very good, but it is quite flexy, i notice this at 70kg... no offence but at 110+kg you'll probably spend most of your time on it with the swingarm rubbing the seattube... the xx brakes are shite too, they struggle to pull me to a stop!!
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    nicklouse wrote:
    Well let's put I this way. You will NOT. Be computing on a DH bike. Or even riding ant trails.

And your link does not work.

Maybe you could fashion some sort of direct mount laptop clamp! :wink:
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Asar01 wrote:
    But the problem is im moving to turkey so ill only be allowed 20kg luggage meaning i can only take 1 bike...

Why not wait until you're there and see the trails you'll be riding before spending all your money. The right hardtail should keep you going until then.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • lawman
    oodboo wrote:
    Asar01 wrote:

Why not wait until you're there and see the trails you'll be riding before spending all your money. The right hardtail should keep you going until then.

may I ask the OP what exactly is wrong with the RZ120 you just spend nearly a grand upgrading? in all honesty, you may be better off transferring all of your new kit to a new frame, seems silly to me.
  • Asar01
    i was thinking of selling the cannondale as its only 120mm travel but to be honest with you im probably going to keep it.
  • lawman
    well if you are set on more travel, sell the frame and forks and buy a new frame and forks and swap the components over. will work out alot cheaper than a whole new bike.